cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Course of action for very recent medical collection.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Course of action for very recent medical collection.

I found a medical collection letter that was misplaced (somehow my exwife got it instead of me.)  Anyway, It was dated 1/16/07.   I found it a few days ago and called immediately.  They said, I was too late, it was reported 2/28.  Since it was so recent, and it was only $100 and I had the explanation about me not seeing it till now, I figured they'd make an exception in my case and give me a delete if I paid.  I called 4 times and spoke with the supervisor.  I explained that this bill was 1 of over 100 medical bills I've paid in the last year so I should get a break if just 1 slips through the cracks.  She said that there is no way that she would delete.  I have not paid it yet, hoping I can come up with some other angle on this.  She said the only exception they make is if they get the letter returned but that didn't happen.  My first question is, how long do I have before this wreaks havoc?  It hasn't shown up yet but I don't know how long it takes.
<BR>Second, this account is medical related (I know FICO doesn't care), only $100 (again FICO doesn't care this might as well be a $3000 credit card) and was reported very recently.  I wonder if any of these factors can play out in my favor if I go about this the right way.  Is there anything the original doctor's office?  I know that the collection was actually sold to the agency.  Even if I gave the doctor's office my explanation I don't know if they have the power to recall it.  What is my best course of action?  Should I hold out for a delete or just pay it?  Should I try to pay it through the doctor's office or is that probably a lost cause?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
jaadain

i wouldnt pay it, what you need to do is a letter to them...

i wouldnt pay it, what you need to do is a letter to them, if you go to www.creditboards.com you can find it there, its called a PRE HIPPA letter.. This isnt a pay site, check it out.. this isnt spam and I am a real person... trust me, I have had this problem before.. but my first hippa letter didnt work.. so I am on my round two.. also you could talk to someone else or the orig creditor to pay it.. and tell them you want a letter stating you want it deleted OR just dispute it.. 90% of Credit colllectors dont have proof.. ask for PROVE, VERIFICATION.. you want actual paper in your hand with YOUR sig/
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't tried to &quot;validate&quot; the debt because...

@jaadain wrote:
ask for PROVE, VERIFICATION.. you want actual paper in your hand with YOUR sig/

I haven't tried to "validate" the debt because my 30 days is expired. Can you still ask for and expect validation after the 30 days has expired? Also, from what I've read on other boards, I don't think that the creditor has to actually produce something with my signature. I wish that were true because it would be impossible to get something like that for medical stuff.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

According to the FCRA, you absolutely have the right to r...

According to the FCRA, you absolutely have the right to request validation of a debt at ANY time that it is on your credit report (as long as the request isn't "frivoulus").  What's more, you can request the actual name and contact information of the person who confirmed the debt info, AND you can request a copy of the documentation related to the debt.  Further, if the collection agency or debtor can't provide it within a reasonable time (usually deemed to be 30 days), then the credit reporting agency MUST delete it.  However... that doesn't mean that the creditor can't report it again!

Although, it probably won't help with a collection agency - they usually have the original debt documentation, or can get it rather quickly, especially in this instance where the debt is fairly recent.

You can try contacting the original debtor (the doctor or hospital) and tell them that you will ONLY deal with them, and that you want a deletion letter agreement before you will pay.  However, the sad truth is that you are most likely going to be stuck with this collection on your record unless you can somehow prove fraud or negligence.  Doesn't sound like you can in this instance.

One final warning... don't pay ANYTHING on this unless you decide that you are just going to pay it off, or until you get a deletion letter.  The moment you pay anything on it (even a penny), it resets the 7 year clock!

Good luck!
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.