Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card obligation????

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Card obligation????

I have a question on the behalf of my mother. My parents divorced back in 1995. Long story short....my father passed away in 2001 (very unexpected) and my mothers name was still on a credit card. She had/has not used it, matter of fact she gave her card back to him when they divorced. The divorce decree states that she is NOT responsible for any charges that take place once the divorce was final.

She is still getting phone calls from the credit card company demanding payment. They call a couple of times, wait several months, then start calling again!!!!!!!!!!!!

What can she do to stop this, short of going to court?????????? Her credit has always been awesome.

Message Edited by flygirl on 06-25-2007 09:46 AM
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Card obligation????

Have the executor of the estate contact them.

This should have been taken care of long ago.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Timothy wrote:
Have the executor of the estate contact them.

This should have been taken care of long ago.

It woul've been taaken care of had she known......they just started calling this year!!!!!!!
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

It sounds like she had joint liability for the CC, in which case she is now wholly responsible for any debt on the card.  I know it's hard to understand, but the terms of the divorce decree have nothing to do with it, as far as the CCCs are concerned.  The balance should have been paid out of the estate.  I'd try a GW first.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would the SOL come up soon or is she past.  If your father passed in 2001 that has to be coming up soon. Whats the SOL in your state?
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.