Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Cards

tag
Jdman
New Contributor

Credit Cards

I owe about $750 on my credit cards total. If I pay them off do I have to use them every month so they don't close them? I honestly don't want to use them. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: Credit Cards

@Jdman wrote:

I owe about $750 on my credit cards total. If I pay them off do I have to use them every month so they don't close them? I honestly don't want to use them. 

Hi and Welcome, you can pay them off and just put a small charge every 6 months.

I recommend keeping them open for credit history. unless you are paying annual fee's for the cards.

Message 2 of 4
donkort
Valued Contributor

Agree with the above.

I might use the credit cards for gas, then make sure you pay them off in full every month before the statemente date.  

FICO 8: EQ 810; TU 816; EX 822 as of 7/5/2022
Message 3 of 4
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

When I have a card I don't want to use, but also don't want to close, I set up one monthly bill (like phone, electric, etc.) to autpay using that card, and then I set up the credit card to get auto-paid in full each month. It's effectively the same thing as auto-paying the utility bill with my bank account, but just using the credit card as a middleman. Keeps the card active, and paid off, without me having to think about it. Bonus points (pun intended) if the card also offers rewards when it gets used, so you can get a little bit of that utility payment back Smiley Happy

If the reason you don't want to use the card is because you're worried about self control or discipline, the above technique is totally automatic which means you can lock the card away or cut it up or whatever, without having any of the risks or downfalls of closing the card (or having the card closed by the bank from inactivity)

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.