Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Check Total Fake Scores?

tag
Cotton_Britches
Frequent Contributor

Credit Check Total Fake Scores?

I thought CCT used FICO Scores. Today I signed up for a $1 trial and discovered the scores are Plus Scores. Not something I want so I'm gonna cancel. Plus the credit report data had an old current address that's not on the credit report that I received directly from the bureau. 

“Faith is taking the first step even when you don’t see the whole staircase.”
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
BrianKill
Valued Member

Re: Credit Check Total Fake Scores?

CCT is FICO.  They have had an intermittent problem with their labeling, but it's FICO.

Message 2 of 6
Cotton_Britches
Frequent Contributor

You're right. Now it says FICO score. Guess it's a system issue but that's not something I want to pay to deal with. 

“Faith is taking the first step even when you don’t see the whole staircase.”
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

When the credit union pulled my equifax report, the score differs from that listed in credit check total, in fact equifax has it a tad lower and I don't understand that and don't really know which is accurate? I thought credit check total was suppose to be accurate? Opinions & thoughts on that? 

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

When the credit union pulled my equifax report, the score differs from that listed in credit check total, in fact equifax has it a tad lower and I don't understand that and don't really know which is accurate? I thought credit check total was suppose to be accurate? Opinions & thoughts on that? 

CCT provides FICO 8 scores, Equifax doesn't:

4 The credit scores provided under the offers described here use the Equifax Credit Score, which is a proprietary credit model developed by Equifax.

Message 5 of 6
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Cotton_Britches wrote:

Guess it's a system issue but that's not something I want to pay to deal with. 

There's nothing to deal with.  The scores are FICO 8's regardless of the text.  If you look at prior threads it happens from time to time with CCT but the scoring model has not actually changed.  Still, your call to make on what solutions you use.

@Anonymous wrote:

Don't rely on oversimpflifications such as "accurate".  You always need to consider the specific scoring model when referring to a score.  All scores are accurate but only for their own model.  You cannot use a score generated by one model to determine a score generated by another model or, in other words, assume that two different models should produce the same numbers.  If the models are not the same then that is one reason why the scores would differ.

You'd have to verify the model provided by the creditor.  If it is a FICO 8 then keep in mind that report data can change in the time between the generation of 2 scores and that can impact the number generated even if the CRA and model are the same for both scores.  Your credit isn't static.

Additionally, you cannot rely on just one model as accurate.  There are many different models used by creditors -- see also the Understanding FICO Scoring subforum and its stickies.  While FICO 8 (which is what CCT provides) is the most commonly used model it is not used for all creditors/products.  If a creditor/product uses a different model then your FICO 8 will not matter for that creditor/product.

@Anonymous wrote:

CCT provides FICO 8 scores, Equifax doesn't:

Model provided by Equifax depends on the product purchased.

http://www.equifax.com/all-products/

Products in the middle provide Equifax Credit Scores.  Products at the bottom provide FICO's.  However, the person you're repying to is referring to a score used by a creditor.  While it is probably a FICO we don't know for certain.  Letters usually indicate the model but not in all cases.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.