Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit History transfer from ITIN to SSN

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit History transfer from ITIN to SSN

I just got a SSN and have a question about transferring my credit history from my ITIN. 

I`m aware of the "sending letters to the the 4 bureaus" method but here`s my problem with that. By the end of last year I had some financial problems and since I wasn`t working, I decided to do a voluntary repossession of the car I had financed. After that, of course my credit (on my ITIN) was hurt and I know it`ll stay on my credit for a while.

I`ve had a BoA credit card for 2 years now (it was secured for the 1st year then they refunded me the money and converted it to a regular credit card) and I always used around 25% of my limit and paid on time. If instead of sending a letter to the bureaus, I only change my ITIN with BoA to my SSN, only the credit history for the credit card will be transferred, right? Cause if changing my personal info only with BoA will somehow end up transferring all my credit history (including the repossession), I`d rather start from "0" again and just close my account.

Has anyone ever had (or read/heard about) any experience with a situation like this?

Thank you in advance.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit History transfer from ITIN to SSN

On your credit report, your  ITIN and/or SSN is just a piece of identification used for obtaining your credit report more easily

Changing it won't erase any of your credit history, just like moving or changing your phone number doesn't. My US credit reports are pulled up by my Canadian Social Insurance Number - which obviously isn't on file in any US government database

(It got in my file because of AMEX wanting you to enter it on your phone before they'll speak to you.)

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

On your credit report, your  ITIN and/or SSN is just a piece of identification used for obtaining your credit report more easily

Changing it won't erase any of your credit history, just like moving or changing your phone number doesn't. My US credit reports are pulled up by my Canadian Social Insurance Number - which obviously isn't on file in any US government database

(It got in my file because of AMEX wanting you to enter it on your phone before they'll speak to you.)

I understand it, but in my case I moved to a different address and got married. I already got a car with my SSN and it showed no credit at all (now it only shows the hard pulls from the banks).

So I wanted to know if I update my info (new name and change my ITIN to new SSN) with BoA, it`ll only transfer the credit history of the specific credit card I have with them or if there`s a risk my repo (from a different bank) will be transferred too.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Nuno_7

I am in the exactly same situation as you were. Did you find out what is the best way to restablish the credit?? I will really apreciate your help

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

While you changed your name, and now have an SSN to start out a new credit journey. I suspect that at some point the old info will resurface, because at some point the info will merge. By providing the new SSN to BoA it could lead them to reporting it to the CB's.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AnonymousIMHO, each card is associated with a particular file. I think if you changed the Social Security number, it would update at the bureau and add another Social Security number to that file. I do not believe it would pull that card out of that file and put it in the new file that you have created.

I would drop the card and get a new one under the new profile rather than risk having my Social Security number added to the old profile. Because then if they ever realize it’s a split file and merge them, the repo will end up on your new profile. That should resolve it for you too Daniel. And welcome!
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.