cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Karma says one thing, Bank another..who to believe?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Karma says one thing, Bank another..who to believe?

Credit Karma states that my current CS is 596..I'm 10 months post-BK so I  see if the bank I've been with for over 12 years (US Bank) can help me rebuild. They say NO because of the bankruptcy (so I'm guessing I might as well close account) but she lowkey told me my sure was decent...668! How can it be that much difference? Which is the more accurate score?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Credit Karma says one thing, Bank another..who to believe?

Welcome to the board Smiley Happy

CK score is the Vantage 3.0 score and its not used by many banks at all. The bank is more than likely giving you a Fico score and that is the score that carries more weight with creditors. As far as getting a major bank to help with your immediate restart after BK its pretty low. Once you show you have a track record they would be more likely to issue a secured or even possibly an unsecured rebuilder. Cap-1 is a bank that will issue you are card right out of the gate to rebuild with as long as you did not BK them, if you did you most likely wont be able to get a card from them for at least 1 year from the date of the CO.
Message 2 of 13
Sandman771
Valued Contributor

Banks use a true FICO score. CK is a FAKO score. They use Vantage 3.0 I believe. There are several versions of FICO but it is the one lenders trust and use for just about everything. CK is good to monitor changes in your score but either through this site or Credit Check Total for the $1 free trial are the best ways to get your true score. CCT be sure to cancel before the 7 days is up. 

Starting Score: EQ497/TU496/EX 499
Currently: EQ 620 TU 654 EX 627
in the garden since 6/16/2021
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! I have another question. I HP'd with US Bank about 2 months ago..today I used Discover just to see what I was eligble with and the Discover IT card popped up comparing other cards..should I pull the trigger? Wait it out? Unfortunately C1 WAS in my BK.

Message 4 of 13
Sandman771
Valued Contributor

If you're eligible with NFCU you should look into it. The pre-approvals are funny. Generally the anecdotal evidence on these boards indicate if you have a solid APR and not a variable range, then the pre approval is pretty solid. Disco is a great card if you can get it. I'm not one of those that is averse to a HP, although a SP is always better. 

I mention NFCU because they are so good to rebuilders who have a long but somewhat tarnished file like myself. 

Also any local CU you are eligible to join would likewise help you immensely. 

Starting Score: EQ497/TU496/EX 499
Currently: EQ 620 TU 654 EX 627
in the garden since 6/16/2021
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you! I have another question. I HP'd with US Bank about 2 months ago..today I used Discover just to see what I was eligble with and the Discover IT card popped up comparing other cards..should I pull the trigger? Wait it out? Unfortunately C1 WAS in my BK.

First steps - is to get CreditCheckTotal.com or MyFico.com services so you can get your real FICO scores like the other posters mentioned. Second, i'd order your paper credit reports from TransUnion, Equifax, and Experian directly.  After receiving these, you will have a completely accurate picture as to what's happening with your reports and scores. I'd circle back with the forums and post your real FICOs and any negative items showing on reports. The community here should be able to advise you on a plan of action afterward :-)

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

THANK YOU MUCH. I got my scores..Experian: 596, TU: 636 and EQ: 636  I do have 6 late payments on my record by my revolving credit is good. Should I focus on building? Apply for the Discover? It shows I applied for USBank on 8/16? Too soon? Sorry to bug Im just new and anxious. thank you

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Now my question is, what product(s) have you applied for? was it the US bank secured card? unsecured?

Can you break down what tradelines you currently have and their balances & credit limits? Having this information is helpful on suggesting when to apply and with whom

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

US Bank applied for me for some overdraft protection account.

All available credit I have now is a Kohl's charge card with a 700 limit with only 120 on it, so <30%

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your scores aren't terrible for approvals on a secured card + you have the positive kohl's CC showing so that is helpful. you may see an uptick in scores if you can get that kohls balance to $60 or less, or even get it to report with $2 balance. 10% utilization and under gives best results scoring wise.

These ones are worth trying:

NFCU nRewards Secured (if you can join)

Discover it Secured

Capital One Secured

Bank of America BankAmericard Secured

Citi Diamond Secured (graduates after 18 mos)

I suggested these because I've seen people get them with scores in the mid 500s, and they will grow into unsecured cards in 6-12 months. The BK may scare some, but keep trying until you get two decent cards you can grow with outside of your Kohls card.   Deposit as much as you comfortably can to the secured card(s). I'd also try to scope out a local credit union and get a secured card with them if you do not have success with the ones above. I personally have obtained capital one and discover secured cards with 560 fico across the board, however I did not have a previous BK.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.