cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Karma vs Credit Sesame --- Thoughts?

tag
CountryLad
New Contributor

Credit Karma vs Credit Sesame --- Thoughts?

Hello Community Members -- wondering if anyone has any strong opinions -- one way or another -- for Credit Karma vs Credit Sesame or any other such agency... I have accounts on both -- and I take them for what they're worth. I fully understand FICO vs FAKO scores and I don't use either of them for prequal. I have noticed, however, that Credit Sesame pushes hard and fast credit card applications. Sometimes I get multiple emails from them in one day -- pushing applications and telling my my score could go up if I had one more credit card. I get that's how they make money. The thing I find funny with Credit Sesame is they also try to tell me I could raise my score if I balance transferred to a different card. It's funny because my utilization reports at near, if not zero. There's nothing to transfer. I always PIF and they know that. With targeted marketing the way it is these days, seems they could be a lot more accurate. Just wondering what others think... Thanks.

“If you wish to get rich, save what you get. A fool can earn money; but it takes a wise man to save and dispose of it to his own advantage.” ―Brigham Young
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Credit Karma vs Credit Sesame --- Thoughts?

Credit Karma is better simply because of more frequent updates. They are both FAKO, so the scores should be ignored in large part. They are useful for looking at account status, that is all.

As far as the recommendations - they should read "Our odds of getting a great referral kick back if you click here".

Message 2 of 5
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Agreed with the above post. They are both trash but Credit Karma is less trash than Credit Sesame. In addition to Credit Karma, I also use WalletHub as it provides daily FAKO TU updates for free.

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 3 of 5
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

Credit Karma (CK) provides CRA information for both EQ and TU so it's better just from a convenience perspective. I use credit.com for Experian CRA summaries and EX Vantagescore comparison to EQ and TU.

CK also provides TransUnion insurance based credit scores (CBIS). It's the only place I know of where you can get a CBIS (free or paid) since LexisNexis stopped offering their CBIS early this year.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 4 of 5
HighAchiever
Established Contributor

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

Credit Karma (CK) provides CRA information for both EQ and TU so it's better just from a convenience perspective. I use credit.com for Experian CRA summaries and EX Vantagescore comparison to EQ and TU.

CK also provides TransUnion insurance based credit scores (CBIS). It's the only place I know of where you can get a CBIS (free or paid) since LexisNexis stopped offering their CBIS early this year.

I agree with

“Most people work just hard enough not to get fired and get paid just enough not to quit.”
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Inquiries: Experian - 4 | Equifax - 3 | TransUnion - 3

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.