cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Limit Increases and score dropped?

tag
nlsnyder80

Credit Limit Increases and score dropped?

I had 3 credit cards increase my limits this last month. Two were soft pulls and one was an auto increase. Nothing else has changed. No new inquiries, no new tradelines. Total credit utilization is less then 5%. My score dropped 36 points on one and 28 on another from the limit increases. Experian shows the limit increases but no change in my score. What the heck? Will it go back up? I've been gardening since December of 2022. Feeling devastated right now.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Limit Increases and score dropped?

@nlsnyder80 wrote:

I had 3 credit cards increase my limits this last month. Two were soft pulls and one was an auto increase. Nothing else has changed. No new inquiries, no new tradelines. Total credit utilization is less then 5%. My score dropped 36 points on one and 28 on another from the limit increases. Experian shows the limit increases but no change in my score. What the heck? Will it go back up? I've been gardening since December of 2022. Feeling devastated right now.

This was not due to limit increases. You will need to compare your reports line by line, and side by side to see where the issue lies. Have you had any old account drop off of your report changing your AAoA or AoOA? Have you let all trade lines report in at $0 balances? There could be a lot of different cause for the decrease, however it is not due to CLIs. 

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 2 of 17
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@nlsnyder80 wrote:

Are you referring to FICO or Vantage scores?

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 3 of 17
RSX
Valued Contributor

i am guessing it is not the CLIs at all

you state this - "I've been gardening since December of 2022."

maybe you will see a change once the gardening hits 6+ months..not after 1 month

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 4 of 17
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@nlsnyder80 wrote:

The credit limit increases did NOT cause any reduction in your scores.

Something else changed. You just need to find out what.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 5 of 17
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

As everyone else has mentioned, it was definitely NOT the CLIs. You need to go back and compare your reports side by side and go over every single line with a fine-tooth comb.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 6 of 17
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@nlsnyder80Please dont think we judge or anything close around here. We dont. You didnt have to delete your opening post. Now others have really no idea what was asked and then there are responces. We're here to help each other out. Anyone judges or even thinks differently. Mods will take care of that. No question is too dumb. If you happened to find out what was the cause of the decrease. Let us know so others that fall into the same situation can fix or learn from it. Happy FICO'ing!

Message 7 of 17
RSX
Valued Contributor

^^^. agreed with above

@nlsnyder80

on the off chance that you took my post negatively  - please know that it wasn't remotely meant that way

see my App Spree thread where I opened 5 accts in 2 days, and the resulting 30-45pt drop i had because of it - that certainly wasnt gardening on my part either

my scores are still trying to recover from that one - maybe in March

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 8 of 17
nlsnyder80

No not at all. I'm just super frustrated with it all. I didnt expect score increase but i definitely wasnt expecting such a big drop. I check everything practically daily. Have paid all my debt off except for a tiny bit on two cards. ($3600). The other 10 cards are currently at zero. Total credit limit 75k. My score has been steadily increasing the entire last year. I was feeling super confident I would hit close to 800 or over this next year. Having excellent credit is super important to me. Made lots of mistakes in the past and just was really proud of myself about how far I had came. 

Currently going over all my reports line by line seeing what changed and trying to figure out what happened. 

I appreciate all of the input and advice. 😊

It's vantage scoring that's showing the drop. 

Message 9 of 17
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@nlsnyder80 wrote:

No not at all. I'm just super frustrated with it all. I didnt expect score increase but i definitely wasnt expecting such a big drop. I check everything practically daily. Have paid all my debt off except for a tiny bit on two cards. ($3600). The other 10 cards are currently at zero. Total credit limit 75k. My score has been steadily increasing the entire last year. I was feeling super confident I would hit close to 800 or over this next year. Having excellent credit is super important to me. Made lots of mistakes in the past and just was really proud of myself about how far I had came. 

Currently going over all my reports line by line seeing what changed and trying to figure out what happened. 

I appreciate all of the input and advice. 😊

It's vantage scoring that's showing the drop. 

Vantage scoring is much more volatile, and much less predictable, than FICO scoring. So it's inadvisable to get yourself worked up over any sudden movements in your Vantage scores.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.