cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Limit Increases and score dropped?

tag
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Credit Limit Increases and score dropped?

BINGO! Vantage is the culrit. If we all took Vantage scores/changes seriously we'd all be on a benzodiazapines for anxiety. Please use them for alerts only. Ignore the scores. Yes Sync uses them. But not everyone has a Sync card. You can get a free FICO score on the banner on top of every page here. Glad you verified and re-listed your post.

Message 11 of 17
tricie17
Frequent Contributor

@nlsnyder80 Personally I do not understand Vantage scores that well although I try to understand. I refer to them as hybrid however FICO is the standard of judging your report. You can purchase separate reports or all three to review. I even believe that Experian will give a free 3 Bureau report for a trial of 7 days after which you will need to cancel or keep for a monthly fee. 

Starting Score: 544
Current Score: 661
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 17
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@nlsnyder80 wrote:

No not at all. I'm just super frustrated with it all. I didnt expect score increase but i definitely wasnt expecting such a big drop. I check everything practically daily. Have paid all my debt off except for a tiny bit on two cards. ($3600). The other 10 cards are currently at zero. Total credit limit 75k. My score has been steadily increasing the entire last year. I was feeling super confident I would hit close to 800 or over this next year. Having excellent credit is super important to me. Made lots of mistakes in the past and just was really proud of myself about how far I had came. 

Currently going over all my reports line by line seeing what changed and trying to figure out what happened. 

I appreciate all of the input and advice. 😊

It's vantage scoring that's showing the drop. 

As mentioned by others, Vantage scores are bound to drive most folks bonkers due to their known fluidity. If a gnat lands on Vantage, scores plummet, but if a dragonfly lands on it, scores rise 🤷‍♂️  The Vantage models have some usefulness for other things, just not for what most financial institutions tend to use.

Do you have access to your FICO scores? You will definitely see a much different spectrum once you obtain them or if you decide to track them. 

Message 13 of 17
nlsnyder80

I checked my FICO scores and they haven't changed at all, limit increases all showing. So crisis averted. Lesson learned, not to stress over vantage scoring models. Thank you for all the the help and knowledge. Very much appreciated. 😊

Message 14 of 17
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Thank you for the follow up @nlsnyder80 .

Message 15 of 17
saadmiraaj

vantage score or fico?

@nlsnyder80 wrote:

I had 3 credit cards increase my limits this last month. Two were soft pulls and one was an auto increase. Nothing else has changed. No new inquiries, no new tradelines. Total credit utilization is less then 5%. My score dropped 36 points on one and 28 on another from the limit increases. Experian shows the limit increases but no change in my score. What the heck? Will it go back up? I've been gardening since December of 2022. Feeling devastated right now.

Vantage score or fico

Message 16 of 17
nlsnyder80

It was Vantage scoring that showed the drop. FICO scores are unchanged. 😊

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.