Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Reporting Time Periods

tag
Momof5
Frequent Contributor

Re: Credit Reporting Time Periods

BK13's by law stay for 10 years.  Before the BK reform Act, the credit gods that be decided to encourage delinquent consumers to file BK13 by allowing CRAs to delete a DISCHARGED BK13 at 7 years.  A dismissed BK 13 will stay the full 10.

If you disputed a BK13 from 1998 and is was discharged, I would give the CRAs an ITS and see if they respond.
Starting Score: 472
Current Score: EQ:703 TU: 729 EX:737
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 31 of 93
Momof5
Frequent Contributor

One more piece of advice....

For those with tax liens....check with your state (if it is a state lien) about the release of the lien.  I had a St Tax Lien at one point and promptly paid it.  8 years later, I joined credit websites determined to do what I could to repair my situation.  The Tax Lien I had paid was still there as unpaid.

According to the state of Colorado, YOU have to request a release of lien to be filed!  (Whatever!)  Anyway, I did and the release 'cannot be backdated' so it was dated then....well the CRAs had NO intention of deleting that paid tax lien for another 7 years!!

The FCRA states "date of payment".  But that isn't recorded anywhere so the CRAs use release date.  I even provided a receipt! (YES! I still had it!)  Still they would not delete saying that they use date of release.  I sent an ITS with a lawsuit paper ready to file.  This got their attention!  Yes they deleted and then I had the joy of dealing with special handling after that!

It would have been easier if I knew then what I know now.
Starting Score: 472
Current Score: EQ:703 TU: 729 EX:737
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 32 of 93
eelb

I can't speak for the California child support situation, but in general , child support doesn't show up on your CR's unless you're delinquent. A divorce decree will specify an amount a parent is to pay for child support. When you don't pay, it has the same effect as breaching a contract. The custodial parent can go to court to get a judgment to enforce the payment of support. Only then would it show up on your CR in the public records section. California may well be different, but there are millions of us who have payed child support for years, and never had it reported on CR's. In fact, it would make a nice TL if it was reported every month!

Message 33 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

I filed ch 13 in 2004.  On the credit reports I pulled it says it will be removed in 2011.  Is it possible it only stays on 10 years if you filed after the new law went into effect?
Message 34 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ch 13 stays on for 7 years, and a Ch 7 stays on for 10 years.
Message 35 of 93
MercyMe
Frequent Contributor

I hear tell Kenya is lovely this time of year, NewWorldMan.  But what are we going to do without you?  Do they have MyFico in Kenya?
Message 36 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just stumbled on your message. To answer your question...YES they will drop off Smiley Sad It's happening to me now. See my post here: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=generalcredit&thread.id=14564

I tried, but I think I will need an Act of Congress to get them back...
Message 37 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

If the statute of limitations to collect on an unpaid federal tax liens is 10 years. How is it that it remains on your CR up to 15 years from date of filing? I would think there is a form or a process that allows removal of an unpaid tax lien that has expired due to an expired collection date of 10 years. Can you comment?
Message 38 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

@eelb wrote:
I can't speak for the California child support situation, but in general , child support doesn't show up on your CR's unless you're delinquent. A divorce decree will specify an amount a parent is to pay for child support. When you don't pay, it has the same effect as breaching a contract. The custodial parent can go to court to get a judgment to enforce the payment of support. Only then would it show up on your CR in the public records section. California may well be different, but there are millions of us who have payed child support for years, and never had it reported on CR's. In fact, it would make a nice TL if it was reported every month!

Well, earlier this month, I got my answer as to how things work in California. They're reporting it as a TL with the amount due listed as the monthly payment. The purpose of that, of course, is to act as a "leper's bell" to potential creditors. I have a gut feeling that the "Family Support Obligation" mark on my credit report is pretty much going to be the "kiss of death" in terms of my getting any major credit like an auto loan or mortgage, or any more credit cards for that matter. I know a blacklist when I see one.
Message 39 of 93
igdycsmG6
Regular Contributor

I HAVE A TAX LIEN THAT WAS PAID 3 YEARS AGO, ITS NOT UPDATED ON MY EXPERIAN REPORT. 7 YEARS WILL BE NEXT YEAR. I have not gone down to the court house and turned in my receipt, because I was afraid it would update as current and would be there for seven years. Are you telling me it will be there for 15 years since I did not report the payment to the court. If I do it now will I have to wait another 7 years for a total of 14 anyway.

Starting Score: EQ:609
Current Score: 624
Goal Score: EQ:725

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 40 of 93
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.