Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Reporting of Closed Account

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Reporting of Closed Account

If I closed a card that had a balance on it, does it fall off 10 years from closure or 10 years from paid off. Let say I close it today and pay off the balance by June next year. I don't carry balances but wondering when it would fall off.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Credit Reporting of Closed Account

No idea on the reporting falloff but closing a card with a balance is a bad idea as it can report with maxed out utilization.

Message 2 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Deletion of closed accounts is purely an administratve decision by the CRAs to purge their databases of old info that they consider to be of minimal practical ause, and is not controlled by statute or regulation.

Their general policy is approx ten years aftter account closure.

However, some have experienced deletion after approx seven years, while others have seen no deletion after periods of over 15 years.

It is not tightly controlled or uniformly applied.

Message 3 of 5
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@MstrPTato wrote:

If I closed a card that had a balance on it ...

But why would you?

Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

There are legimate reasons to close accts.

Perhaps the card has an annual fee, perhaps the consumer had prior authorizations to make recurring automatic renewals charged to the account that they wished to eliminate, perhaps they want to reduce potential identity theft, or perhaps they wish to simply reduce the numbeer of accts they must monitor monthly.

Closing the card to further use might be beneficial............

Many have, for example,  ignored monthly monitoring of open cards that they assumed had a zero balance only to see a balance pop up with an associated 30-late.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.