cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Score decreased after paying balance in full - help me understand??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Score decreased after paying balance in full - help me understand??

Sorry what do you mean by wait for the statement to cut? And pay partial balance by due date correct?

Message 11 of 16
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry what do you mean by wait for the statement to cut?

Wait for the statement to be issued.

And pay partial balance by due date correct?

No, don't wait for the due date. The day after the statement is issued you can pay the whole balance.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

But thats my question, if the CC reports to the bureau *after* the statement comes out and i pay it off before the reporting wont it still show 0 credit utlization and lower my score?

Message 13 of 16
203bravo
Established Contributor

Forget completely about the due date... if you know for a fact that this card reports to the bureaus on the 26th of the month... charge something around 10$ on the 20th of the month... let that balance report to the bureaus on the 26th.. then log onto the credit card site and pay it off to 0$..  when the statement reports you will have a 0 balance on the statement and that's ok.. it's the balance that reports to the bureaus that will net you the FICO points. 

Next month do it again. 

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is difficult to understand how credit cards and reporting work when first getting started in the credit game, especially when using dates as abstract as payment due date, statement close date, and reporting date.

So to make things less abstract let's assume that a CC has a statement date of the 1st. Whatever balance is on the card as of the 1st will be the statement balance and in turn will be the balance reported to the bureas. The goal is to have this be the non-zero amount ($10-$20 for maximum scoring purposes).

We will then assume the payment due date is the 28th. This is the date that you will want to pay your card by to avoid any late fees. To avoid interest you will want to pay the full statement balance by the 28th.

Whatever balance is left on the card by the next statement date of the 1st will get reported to the bureaus as the new card balance. If you make additional charges and want your balance reporting to be lower then you will need to make an additional payment between the 28th and the 1st to reduce the new statement balance.

Some caveats, and some things that may add more confusion, many people on this forum recommend paying your statement balance as soon as it reports. For me, this is more work than necessary and it does not provide any tangible benefit. As long as the statement balance is paid by the due date (the end of the grace period) then you don't pay interest.

Some cards, I believe those issued by Chase, will report off statement and will report ANY time you reduce the balance to 0.

Reporting date, in my experience, is always the same as statement date. However, the reporting date is not always the date at which it shows on the credit report. I get daily Experian reports and I just had a card report it's new balance today (the 13th) but the report date was the same as the statement date (the 6th).

Message 15 of 16
dunn2500
Established Contributor

right!.....i feel ya its most irritating thing ever, and clear example of how to make something more complicated for no reason at all.....it took me 3 or 4 cycles when i was trying to build my credit and still not sure i understand completely....

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.