cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card debt consolidation good or bad?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit card debt consolidation good or bad?

Hi! I have about 5000$ in credit card debts that I would like to take care of because it is killing my credit score. I have a car lease that I have always paid on time but is ending in November so I want to make sure the credit card debts don't play against me once I need a new car lease. I looked into consolidation loan from different places in which I would pay a monthly payment towards my debt but all my credit cards would be closed. Is that a bad solution? My current credit score is in the 500s so I don't think it could get worse anyway. 

Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit card debt consolidation good or bad?

With scores in the 500's, you must have some baddies AND maxed out cards? What are your current card, and how much of the total balance are you using on each?

While I have done consolidation loans before, inow discourage them unless you actually close the cards you are consolidating. The reason being that if you are in the position where you need a consolidation because your cards are maxed, leaving the cards open allows you to continue spending in the same way that got you in that position in the first place. Many people do this, and within a short time have maxed cards again AND a consolidation loan to pay off. I fell into that trap myself in my younger years!

What kind of rates are you being offered for the loans? Do you have extra money to throw at the credit cards to start paying them down?

Do you need to apply for a new lease soon, or do you have a year or two left?

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Whatever you do do not sign up with the service that tells you to stop making payments on purpose that will result in charge-offs that last longer and Blacklist you worse than bankruptcy
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes my credit card are maxed out and No I do not have money to pay them off. I have until Nov 2017 for my lease so not so long. I don't remember the rates they are offering for the consolidation but they did say I needed to close the accounts. What do you recommend?
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.