Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card reporting to different CRAs

tag
ChemE_Bear
Regular Contributor

Credit card reporting to different CRAs

Do credit cards report at different times to different CRAs?  For example, my Chase card last reported to EX on 1/1/2020, while it was reported to EQ and TU on 1/17/2020.  For this reason, should I make a payment to lower utilization prior to these two different reporting dates in order to minimize utilization across all three? 

Fico8 1/20:
Fico8 02/22:
Fico8 9/23:
AU:
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit card reporting to different CRAs

@ChemE_Bear wrote:

Do credit cards report at different times to different CRAs?  For example, my Chase card last reported to EX on 1/1/2020, while it was reported to EQ and TU on 1/17/2020.  For this reason, should I make a payment to lower utilization prior to these two different reporting dates in order to minimize utilization across all three? 

@ChemE_Bear 

1.  What is the statement close date for your Chase card?

2.  Did you pay your Chase card current balance to zero after the statement close date?

3.  Where did you get the information on reporting dates from?

Message 2 of 6
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

Chase reports the balance at the time that the statement closed. Regardless of when it "hits" each of the credit bureaus, that's the balance that gets reported. Generally the same thing holds true for other creditors. One notable exception is if you pay off a chase card to $0.00, Chase will often report the $0 balance to the CRAs immediately, even if it's between statement closing dates.

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 3 of 6
ChemE_Bear
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@ChemE_Bear wrote:

@ChemE_Bear 

2.  Did you pay your Chase card current balance to zero after the statement close date?

1. Statement closes on the 18th

2. No. We paid in full on 1/19/20 but there were pending charges so Chase did not report after that.

3. Reporting dates are from Experian (For EX) and CreditKarma (EQ and TU)... on 1/19/20 (and through today) from Experian I have 1/1/2020 under Payment Info -> Updated and 12/18/2020 for the reports I ran on Experian for EQ and TU on that same date.

Fico8 1/20:
Fico8 02/22:
Fico8 9/23:
AU:
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ChemE_Bear wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@ChemE_Bear wrote:

@ChemE_Bear 

1. Statement closes on the 18th

2. No. We paid in full on 1/19/20 but there were pending charges so Chase did not report after that.

3. Reporting dates are from Experian (For EX) and CreditKarma (EQ and TU)... on 1/19/20 (and through today) from Experian I have 1/1/2020 under Payment Info -> Updated and 12/18/2020 for the reports I ran on Experian for EQ and TU on that same date.

@ChemE_Bear 

You need to note that Experian does not use precise dates in their reporting; they assume that accounts are created and report on the first of each month.  See this thread for a discussion and note RobertEG's comment:  How does Fico calculate AOYA for multiple new accounts?

With the possible exception of US Bank and Elan Financial, lenders typically report to the credit bureaus at midnight of the statement close date.  Because the data is batch processed it takes some time to be available online, but its usually transmitted at statement close.

Message 5 of 6
ChemE_Bear
Regular Contributor

Fascinating! Thank you for your reply.
Fico8 1/20:
Fico8 02/22:
Fico8 9/23:
AU:
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.