cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card that's not mine showing up on my report - Bad timing! What do I do?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit card that's not mine showing up on my report - Bad timing! What do I do?

Just ran a report on freecreditreport (EX) - and an AMEX account is showing up reporting in February.  The account shows Open, with "OK" in February.  The weird thing is the account shows opened on 1/1/1975  (I was 9 at the time).

Here's the bad timing part - we're waiting to close on a house next Friday!  Still waiting to sign off on all of the loan paperwork.

So what do I do?  Should I immediately try to find out what's going on?  Should I wait until we close on the house?  Do I dispute this with the CRB?  Or do I call AMEX to find out what this is?

Bad, bad timing....  Smiley Mad
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
gdtobefree
Established Contributor

Re: Credit card that's not mine showing up on my report - Bad timing! What do I do?

Is it a GOOD TL, no lates, 0 balance. If it is I would leave it alone.

I am sure they would put 2&2 together and realize that you were pretty young when the account was opened and that it can't possibly be yours and ignore it.

If it is a bad TL I would CALL the CRA that it is on and that the mortgage co is looking at and offer to send a copy of your DL to prove 1 your indenty and 2 your age. Explain that you are closing on a loan and that it needs to be removed immediatley.

The paper trail will take too long.

It is highly possible that the OC doesn't even know it is there, if all else fails with the CRA then go to the OC, BUT please keep in mind that the OC DOES NOT have to do this immediatley and may take up to 30 days to remove it. But I am pretty sure if you explain the situation they MIGHT do it that day.
All they have to do is push a few buttons and it is done.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit card that's not mine showing up on my report - Bad timing! What do I do?

WAFICOwatcher wrote:
Just ran a report on freecreditreport (EX) - and an AMEX account is showing up reporting in February.  The account shows Open, with "OK" in February.  The weird thing is the account shows opened on 1/1/1975  (I was 9 at the time).

Here's the bad timing part - we're waiting to close on a house next Friday!  Still waiting to sign off on all of the loan paperwork.

So what do I do?  Should I immediately try to find out what's going on?  Should I wait until we close on the house?  Do I dispute this with the CRB?  Or do I call AMEX to find out what this is?

Bad, bad timing....  Smiley Mad

Call the CRA and the OC. You can probably get it removed shortly. If you are closing on a house, are they going to be pulling another CR? If so, call them up now and explain the situation and see what they say. I am sure they will overlook it as they can tell by the date opened that it couldn't be you. Did it hurt your score yet?
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank for your inputs!

The account shows current, with only $169 balance... hopefully it's just some mistake in reporting that corrects itself soon.  No change in my scores yet, but since it was opened in 1975, hopefully it will help my ageing!  Smiley Tongue

As soon as we sign the paperwork I'll dispute the record with the CRBs.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wish mistakes like this would happen to me-

I guess AMEX really did do a MAJOR update to reporting-

WAFICOwatcher wrote:
Thank for your inputs!

The account shows current, with only $169 balance... hopefully it's just some mistake in reporting that corrects itself soon.  No change in my scores yet, but since it was opened in 1975, hopefully it will help my ageing!  Smiley Tongue

As soon as we sign the paperwork I'll dispute the record with the CRBs.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

"I wish mistakes like this would happen to me-" You and me both.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hopefully it's a mistake and not something else going on.  But if it is just a mistake, I'm kind of waiting for the other shoe to drop....  Smiley Indifferent

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.