Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit is addictive, ever satisfied?

tag
PrimeHokage
Established Member

Credit is addictive, ever satisfied?

Not sure is this is the right place for this but I've been on the site for a little less than two years and thanks to you guys I got my scores from mid 500s to mid 700s. In that time I have learned that credit is addictive. What I mean by that is I want higher and higher credit limits and pre-approvals from cards I don't even want or fit my spending habits or needs. I have finally got to a place where I have a system of cards that fit me but I want bigger limits. I guess what I am asking is do you ever become satisfied and guess go in to the garden for ever? What goals did you set that were once I get there I am done?
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Moneyklutz
Frequent Contributor

Re: Ever satisfied?

I don't think my experience will apply towards everyone else here but after went through the proverbial ugly divorce and subsequent journey to rebuild my credit and life, I started learning the wisdom shared on this site like you and all I wanted was a leg up on how to get back to "normal".  8+ years later I'm there (mid 800's and PIF on all every month) and I look at each credit card I have now and possible future ones just like I do the tools in my shop. 

Do I need something specific for the benefit it offers?  ...then I work towards getting it. (ooh lookie! a BANDSAW!)

Do I need a larger CL for utilization?   ...time and usage can make that happen. (sharpen that chisel till it cuts without effort)

I'll always return here to continue honing the cards I have (and may get) to the best possible edge but I'm content now. 

I never really had an end goal clearly defined, but once I got there, it was clear to me inside that more cards "just to have them" brought no emotional reward.    

Message 2 of 24
Kforce
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit is addictive, ever satisfied?

@PrimeHokage wrote:
Not sure is this is the right place for this but I've been on the site for a little less than two years and thanks to you guys I got my scores from mid 500s to mid 700s. In that time I have learned that credit is addictive. What I mean by that is I want higher and higher credit limits and pre-approvals from cards I don't even want or fit my spending habits or needs. I have finally got to a place where I have a system of cards that fit me but I want bigger limits. I guess what I am asking is do you ever become satisfied and guess go in to the garden for ever? What goals did you set that were once I get there I am done?

This forum has a majority that are addicted  to getting cards, asking for CL increases, lowering APR's, and changing the deck.

However a few of us have a natural resistance.

Message 3 of 24
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@PrimeHokage wrote:

Message 4 of 24
Andypanda
Established Contributor

Yes I'm addictied. But even with more cards, ir higher cl, i will not spend more. I only buy stuff i eoukd have bought if i was using cash or debit. As the addiction is costing you money, i fon't have a problem with it.

Message 5 of 24
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Not sure if satisfied is the correct term, but I got to a place where there is nothing out there that is better than what I have.  

I am still carrying balances, but they're ALL at zero or 1.99 percent.  

It's hard to borrow money for less than free...  Smiley Wink

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 6 of 24
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@Kforce
Look at it this way.You're the Yin and I'm the Yang. 😂
In nature there must be a balance. Well I'm that counterbalance for you.😉
For every spend bonus, CLI, 0% transfer offer you pass on. I'm here to scoop them up for you my friend.😆
Know that I'll always be here for you.🤗

As Obi-Wan Kenobi and Yoda instructed Luke. To embrace the force. Well I've embraced it. 😬😂

Message 7 of 24
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@PrimeHokage wrote:
What goals did you set that were once I get there I am done?

Past searches will reveal a lot (me for one) of peeps eating their words. Smiley Very Happy  Credit is better than chocolate!

Goal forward in credit health! Smiley Wink

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 8 of 24
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

@GApeachy wrote:

@PrimeHokage wrote:

Past searches will reveal a lot (me for one) of peeps eating their words. Smiley Very Happy  Credit is better than chocolate!

Heresy!

Message 9 of 24
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@GApeachy wrote:

@PrimeHokage wrote:

I want both ..

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.