Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit karma what is going on

tag
BallBounces
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit karma what is going on

@Anonymous wrote:
I get the apprehension about VS3 and its materially different algos from Fico but it is a real scoring system and should be followed along with the others. While everyone is unfamiliar with what makes it tick, if you track it alongside with the changes in your profile over time it will start to make sense. Yes it counts events differently than fico but that is why it exists. Many times changes will occur in your profile but fico wont budge. Meanwhile VS3 is moving like crazy. I feel its way more sensitive than fico to smaller changes or events in your credit activity. Good or bad, its only reacting to data input which is its main purpose. Over time as people start to get a feel for what makes it tick people will warm up to it. In the meantime, i feel everyone should keep an eye on it as its a real thing and is being adopted more and more by lenders. Maybe it wont unseat fico as the top dog in the very near future but it will still be seen as a tool in credit evaluation. Better to try to understand it than ignore it and wish you didnt.

BTW... not affiliated in any way. 😂

I actually don't disagree with some of this.  There is nothing wrong with trying to know what drives a VS3 per se.

But. 

Let me use an analogy.  

Vantage scores today are about 10% as reliable as a FICO score from a utility point of view.  That is more or less a market fact.  Would you buy a TV that was 10% reliable?  Would you buy  a car that was 10% reliable?  Likely not.  But what if they were free?  I would probably take a free TV that works 10% of the time, and I would soon get frustrated with it's problems and then pitch in the trash followed by a bunch of $%!#@*&%!   words.    But that car?  No way am I getting behind the wheel of a car that might break down or fail to stop 90% of the time.  It's dangerous to my goals of a) getting where I am going and b) doing it safely.

Vantage 3 scores are kind of like that TV as long as we use them for what they are, occasional entertainment.  But I sure as heck am not going to take one for a drive until they improve the product....

050719:     
021924:     

FICO 08 scores listed and are stagnated until multiple derogatory items expire over the next two years.
Message 11 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

For me CK is bs I lower 1% of my utilization 5%-4% and i lost over 100 points **bleep** is the same report not any changes only lower my utilization
Message 12 of 30
jmos
Regular Contributor

Simply Visa.

Message 13 of 30
BallBounces
Valued Contributor

@jmos wrote:

Simply Visa.

No, which Vantage score model and data furnisher?

050719:     
021924:     

FICO 08 scores listed and are stagnated until multiple derogatory items expire over the next two years.
Message 14 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
For me CK is bs I lower 1% of my utilization 5%-4% and i lost over 100 points **bleep** is the same report not any changes only lower my utilization

Are you viewing your Full CR? Did you look at your SPs? Were there any other micro DPs that changed? Have you crossed any thresholds maybe for Apps or CLIs in the past week/month? Reason why I ask is VS3 is an algo and responds to data input. We should at least try to identify all info that causes change in scoring. If it was only a slight UTL change, your score should have increased and not decreased. 

Message 15 of 30
SEAlifer
Established Contributor

It’s ok for monitoring new account openings and getting a very very general idea of your credit. It sucks that there’s no easy way to get your three agency FICO scores for free and updated daily.
AU

Message 16 of 30
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Again there is no point in trying to analyze CK scoring, I don’t get why people continue to try to figure it out!!! Every few days my score on EQ literally goes up 46 points then down 46, this is 2 weeks running. Nothing has changed total BS, but I don’t really give a hoot what it does , it’s pointless and useless.
EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 17 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very true Jnbmom. My Experian FICO 8 has not changed in reality since about two weeks ago, but credit karma has mine changing every other day practically.

I believe it’s designed for people who like constant change. (Maybe?). In reality, it just doesn’t move that much lol. That is of course unless you have a lot of situations that make your real FICO 8 score change.
Message 18 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BallBounces wrote:

Vantage 3 scores are kind of like that TV as long as we use them for what they are, occasional entertainment. 

I personally wouldn't ever classify VS as entertainment, as entertainment suggests enjoyment.  To me, there's nothing enjoyable about monitoring or checking in on a highly irrelevant or meaningless score.  TV watching however is entertainment, as I don't really know any other reason people would do it other than it being enjoyable.

Message 19 of 30
amck12
New Contributor

I know the scores are BS, but it still pissed me off royally when I took a 0% BT offer to pay off my card, and CK had my score drop 100 points because it was showing the new BT card balance AND the balance on the old card. So my debt essentially doubled according to CK.....grrrrr.... it still hasn't recovered, even tho I slashed total utilization down to about 15% overall from ~43%.

Chase Freedom - $6.7K SL - Opened 10/2008
Paypal Smart Connect - $1.9K SL - Opened 06/2009
USAA Rewards - $12.6K SL - Opened 02/2011
Syn Care Credit - $18K SL - Opened 05/2017
Chase Amazon - $2.3K SL - Opened 07/2012
Chase Slate - $4.2K SL - Opened 06/2019
NFCU Platinum - $18K SL - Opened 06/2019
NFCU Flagship - $25K SL - Opened 09/2019

Fico 8 (USAA/Discover): 706 (09/2019), 716 (05/2020)
Fico 9 (NFCU): 738 (10/2019), 782 (05/2020)

Fico 8 3 bureau (Creditchecktotal): EX-709 EQ-723 TU-723 (10/2019)

Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.