Credit karma

Say credit karma has my TransUnion score at 506 when it is actually 579

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Credit karma

CK is Vantage. The other is FICO which matters the most. Some report up to 100 point difference in the two. But CK beats out all the services when it comes to alerts on your file. So there is a good side to them. Scores not so much.

Message 2 of 5
virgo
Established Contributor

Hello,

Boy I'm starting to get the clue in that. 

Thank you for responding. 

Message 3 of 5
Phana24
Regular Contributor

@virgo wrote:

As @FireMedic1 mentioned, these are very different scores.  However, how do you "know" your FICO score is 579?  Is there a substantial time difference between scores?  A lot of the FICO scores you get from cc as freebies can be up to 2 mos old as you read them.  Assuming you are referring to your bankcard score, it could be either FICO 8 or 9(most use 8).  When I rebuilt my credit and as I rebuild wifey's, we saw the opposite; that our FICOs would lag our Vantages by about 25-55 points.  The freebie Vantage scores are fine for trending, but IMHO, it's best to have an EX or EQ 8, since that appears to be the predominate player in the cc industry and EX/EQ are used far more often than TU.  I strongly recommend you sign up for EX's free scoring update.  It guarantees a monthly update at no cost, but I have found it updates with any noticeable change.

Message 4 of 5
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@virgo wrote:

Although I use CK the most out of several sites, I have to say they're VERY prone to incorrect information. So I'm not at all suprised at what you're seeing. For me, they're generally right on target with my scores, but this kind of inaccuracy doesn't surprise me.

Right now, and for the past month or two, their Equifax figures have been grossly incorrect--although Equifax itself has the correct info. In other words, logging in directly to my Equifax account shows the correct figures, but on CK the Equifax info is wrong. On CK, they're showing my total credit as some $25,000 LOWER than it really is, and they also show my total balance about $1,000 lower than it is, both of which yield an incorrect overall usage percentage. Ironically, if I manually add up all of the CLs and balances for each account they list, THOSE numbers are correct. Go figure!

Another great example of how inaccurate CK can be is their 'how much can I afford' calculator for buying a house. It's UNBELIEVABLY screwed up!! Smiley Surprised

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.