Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit lock

tag
Murph5065
Contributor

Credit lock

I have been reading about locking my credit down for all 3 bureaus and i have seen that i can do it online free through them bureaus themselves, i subscribe to experian only monthly.

When i try to lock credit file it wants me to subscribe to premium level to lock it, how can i lock all 3 down online with out paying for it?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Credit lock

You can do a freeze. Basically same thing. Thawed it for a day if need be. Auto fr4eeze next day. Or download the apps and you can do it from your phone.

Message 2 of 10
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Create a free online profile at each CB's site and once your profile is set up, you'll be able to manage accordingly

Message 3 of 10
Centurion_Dreamer
New Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

You can do a freeze. Basically same thing. Thawed it for a day if need be. Auto fr4eeze next day. Or download the apps and you can do it from your phone.

Is freeze control possible in the EQ and TU apps? I only got it working in the EX app.

Active Cards (TCL 127k):
Message 4 of 10
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

I have used TU on the phone. I wont put the EQ app on my phone. They aren't the best at keeping things tidy per say. Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 10
Centurion_Dreamer
New Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

I have used TU on the phone. I wont put the EQ app on my phone. They aren't the best at keeping things tidy per say. Smiley Very Happy

Have you used the TU app for lock or freeze?

Active Cards (TCL 127k):
Message 6 of 10
DSTforlife
Regular Contributor

I've learned that the difference between lock and freeze is the monitoring aspect of the lock.  I only pay for the experian service, and I am able to lock/unlock, which highlights a feature that says EX will notify me when there is a change in lock status.  My DH has the free EX service and can only freeze/unfreeze....EX always uses the lock/unlock monitoring feature as draw to get him to upgrade to the paid service.

Same with EQ...my DH has the paid service and he can lock/unlock (which has the monitoring feature).  I have the free service, and it's a freeze (which does not have the monitoring feature).

For TU, neither of us have the paid service, and we are able to freeze our report (not lock).

Message 7 of 10
Bill77
Regular Contributor

A freeze is free and a lock cost money.  And it's no accident that the lock is usually much easier to find on their website.

Message 8 of 10
Credit4Growth
Senior Contributor

@Centurion_Dreamer wrote:

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Is freeze control possible in the EQ and TU apps? I only got it working in the EX app.

Just like @FireMedic1 mentioned.  I will not put the EQ app on my phone, although I can not remember the exact reasons why.  Instead I call EQ and go through an automated promting system to temporarily unfreeze that bureau.

EQ.   1 (800) 685-1111

TR:   1 (800) 680-7289

EX:   1 (888) 397-3742

Honestly, I do not remeber the initial process of setting the ability to freeze and unfreeze the bureaus but these are the numbers I dial to make a temporary unfreeze... After I travel back to the home and retrieve the Pin number for each individual bureau.

Message 9 of 10
Credit4Growth
Senior Contributor

... Concerning a lock, I believe potential new creditor may still have the ability to do a soft pull and retrieve information. I think a freeze prevents that. I had to deal with Identity theft and fraudulent CC usage too many time, even from halfway accross the continental US, so with my current understanding of these to, the way I have explained them, I have chosen to freeze my reports because -with my current understanding, no credit approvals will be granted with a freeze in place, even if a (**** whatever you want to call them) have most if not all of your information correct.  That is what I am looking for.  So, when I have been alerted to a possible fraudulent charge and call the CC issuer to find ou what I could do, my feeling is that I get no relief other than the transactions were blocked.  Then I just ask for another CC to be issued with a different number to be shipped to me.  It is crazy to think about the number of times this has happen... then again, I travel often.

If there is any expert out there that can help 😉 clarify this then please do!
We all would appreciate it! 🙏

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.