Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit monitoring service

tag
ludawg23
Established Member

Credit monitoring service

Hey guys,

Apologies if this is the wrong forum but I just had a question.

In light of the Playstation network debacle (Hackers have stolen millions of users personal information and possible credit card info), I would really like to sign up for some credit monitor service that keeps an eye on my reports.  I'm afraid that with the recent breach in Sony's database, some fool is buying my personal info on the internet.

Can anyone recommend any services? I've tried to google it but not sure which companies are reputable.

Thanks!

- An

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
ludawg23
Established Member

Re: Credit monitoring service

my apologies, just saw the credit monitor service guide up top...I feel dumb Smiley Tongue

But if any one has any personal experience with any service, some opinions would be greatly appreciated Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 10
marty56
Super Contributor

I have used Score Watch, True Credit, and Equifax Gold.   In your case I would recommend True Credit since it monitors all 3 credit reports.  I currently use True Credit.  Score Watch is good for credit rebuilding purposes since it monitors your EQ FICO score.  Forget Equifax Gold, I did not like the service since it was unstable and slow.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 3 of 10
ludawg23
Established Member

Thanks for your reply Marty.

I actually ended up signing up for the 2 week free trial from Identity Guard.

So far, so good.  I like some of the options they give.  3 credit scores, quarterly credit reports, credit monitoring and I can even register all my credit cards and they'll make for any unusually activities.

Message 4 of 10
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@ludawg23 wrote:

Thanks for your reply Marty.

I actually ended up signing up for the 2 week free trial from Identity Guard.

So far, so good.  I like some of the options they give.  3 credit scores, quarterly credit reports, credit monitoring and I can even register all my credit cards and they'll make for any unusually activities.

But you need to remember that NO 3 in 1 monitoring service will give FICO scores. It could be Plus scores, VantageScores, TransRisk scores but they will NOT be FICO scores.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 5 of 10
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

I just signed for Privacy Assist also CMS guide. The moniter all three bureaus plus they identity theft prevention tools as well.  The score are not FICO scores but I am not interested in  the scores I am interested more in the credit data and knowiing when it changes.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 6 of 10
DI
Super Contributor

@ludawg23 wrote:

Hey guys,

In light of the Playstation network debacle (Hackers have stolen millions of users personal information and possible credit card info), I would really like to sign up for some credit monitor service that keeps an eye on my reports.  I'm afraid that with the recent breach in Sony's database, some fool is buying my personal info on the internet.

Can anyone recommend any services? I've tried to google it but not sure which companies are reputable.

Thanks!

- An

I wouldn't sign up for anything just yet.  If there has been a breach in Sony's data they should be paying for your credit monitoring service. 

Message 7 of 10
kjm79
Valued Contributor

@DI wrote:

@ludawg23 wrote:

Hey guys,

Thanks!

- An

I wouldn't sign up for anything just yet.  If there has been a breach in Sony's data they should be paying for your credit monitoring service. 

I agree with DI that you may not need a service yet, and that SONY should pay for it!  I personally like the Truecredit service.  You can get daily TU pulls, a free 3 credit merge report every month, and you can purchase the 3 credit merge report in between for about 9.95.  With the daily pull you also get a side my side comparison of what changed as well.  I get MORE alerts with truecredit and sooner than I do through MyFICO.  I subscribe to Score Watch here for scores and also Truecredit for closer report monitoring.   

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 8 of 10
JonStur
Established Contributor

A True Credit fan here also..

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 9 of 10
ficofox
Regular Contributor

I finally found an inexpensive daily report puller (I pull all three reports daily). $12.95/mo at myprivacymatters.com. There is nothing on their site that indicates you can pull daily but it definitely works. The only other daily monitoring service I liked was Equifax Complete. I've tried TrueCredit, IdentityGuard, and CreditKeeper and found that Equifax always alerted fastest.

With FICO, time heals all wounds.

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.