Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit repair companies YES OR NO?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit repair companies YES OR NO?

Anyone had any good luck with anybody in particular? I realize that most, if not all can be done yourself, but in the case you look for someone with experience, any recommendations?
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Medic981
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit repair companies YES OR NO?

NO NO NO No No No no no no!!! Not just NO but ***bleep*** NO!!!

You can do anything that a so-called "credit repair" company can do as you already know.  Don't waste your money. Do your credit rebuild yourself. I think most people who rebuild their credit themselves have a greater understanding of how credit works and are less likely to make the same mistakes again. Just my opinion.

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 2 of 12
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Creditors don't have to work with them. In fact, some will not work with them.

Message 3 of 12
Medic981
Valued Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

I have read that some of the more unscrupulous ones will pretend to be you. You have to give them all of your personal information and they will spoof caller ID when calling into creditors. 

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

LOL!!! So the general consensus is that I could probably benefit more without using one. I am not very comfortable with giving out any of my personal info to strangers , even if they are reputable by some standards. I have (2) 4+ year old repo charge offs that are still held by the original creditors . 7,700 and 11,900$. Should I let these age off , or try to settle out and zero balance them? FYI The SOL is 4 years in Tx where I am from. Any advice would be great
Message 5 of 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

While it is appropriate to discuss or advise on the general use of credit repair organizations, it is against the terms of usage on the site to recommend specific credit repair organizations.

Message 6 of 12
2IMPROVE1
Contributor

I'm yelling NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All the information you need is on this forum and it cost ZERO!!! Read through the forums and everyone is here to guide you through your credit repair!!! They can not do anything you can't do for yourself!!

August 2018- Equifax 658 TU 651 Exp 659
October 2018-Equifax 703 TU 701 Exp 706
January 2019 Equifax 708 TU 704 Exp 710

Message 7 of 12
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Anyone had any good luck with anybody in particular? I realize that most, if not all can be done yourself, but in the case you look for someone with experience, any recommendations?

We're not allowed to mention specific names of companies here, but I used one and found it useful. Yes I could have done it myself, but I think this was better, and it saved me a lot of time.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 8 of 12
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Medic981 wrote:

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

I have read that some of the more unscrupulous ones will pretend to be you. You have to give them all of your personal information and they will spoof caller ID when calling into creditors. 

This is true and it has caused problems as they start flagging disputes as frivolous. Then when someone tries to do it themselves, they can't. 

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I had the same exact question during my CRP. After working on it myself and with the aid of online resources such as myFico and others and lots of reading up. Almost immediately I've started to notice pretty major favorable spikes in my scores. My big dummy thing was nah I don't wanna look at my CR cause I can't do anything about it anyway and besides the CRB's don't really give a rats arse nor do the CCC! But obviously working on your credit is not a one day one trick pony show. It takes time and dedication... So I began to obsess with my CS. I made it my top financial priority. Several hundred point increases later, there was no need for a credit repair company.

My obsession continues so I don't slip off that dam cliff again if you catch my drift Smiley Wink  You can do this!

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.