Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit score is inaccessible due to transunion denying my existence

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit score is inaccessible due to transunion denying my existence

I've been dealing with this issue for the past 7 years and I have no idea how to remedy it.

I've tried getting credit scores. All I get is errors. I cant get a target card, cant get a medical credit card, nothing. 
I cant even be looked up to rent a car or apply for an apartment. 

I've been able to get ONE bank to look into it, and they said it was because my address was invalid with transunion. I was told to update it. I've sent all records of me existing.. birth certificate, social security card, drivers license, etc. and they've sent me letters back with "insufficient information" 

I had the bank try to look up to see if they could find debt (I had about $120 at the time) but nothing came up and the agency that was calling me to pay it off (I'd been making payments) suddenly didnt have records. 
the bank that was working with me closed my account due to no activity and refused to open my bank account again until I fixed whatever my issue was with transunion. 
The other issue I ran into is that I was told there was "no income history" when my credit score was looked up. (I'm 30 and self employed. though I've had jobs on/off in my life)

I make my money off ebay, and recently had a $600 chargeback. 
this wouldnt be a big deal if I was still allowed to use my paypal and ebay account, and if I was allowed to make payments. 
As it stands, I could not afford to ship things out of my pocket because 100% of my money was thrown towards my debt. 
the only solution I see is simply begging on the street and giving the money to someone who can paypal it to me.

recently I changed car insurance, and could not contact my insurance broker (had to go through him because couldnt get auto insurance due to said credit issue) so I let my car insurance go to collections while I paid for a new one.

I'm curious what's going to happen. I have no idea. What happens when your debt goes into collections for a person who doesnt exist?

transunion has actively made my life hell, and I dont know if I should sue them or what I should do. This is getting ridiculous.

I guess on the plus side, I got 20% off a clothing purchase at JC penney for signing up and then being rejected for their credit card. LOL.

edit: 
I just requested a free credit report and got this error:

Online Delivery Unavailable

We are not able to deliver your free Equifax Annual Credit Report online."

.... "

Please include with the attached form a copy of one item in EACH of the categories below in order to assist us to verify your identification and address. The item you submit from the "identity" category MUST contain your Social Security number and the item you submit from the "Address" category MUST contain your current home mailing address.

Identity

• Social Security card
  • Pay stub with Social Security number
  • W2 Form

Address

• Driver's License
  • Rental or lease agreement/house deed
  • Pay stub with address
  • Utility bill (gas, electric, water, cable, residential telephone bills)

To ensure that your request is processed without delay, please enlarge photocopies of any items that contain small print (i.e. driver's license, W2 forms, etc.). To avoid additional delays, keep in mind that if photocopies you submit are not legible or contain highlighting, we may ask that you resubmit your request with more legible documents."

now, I pay estimated taxes. I dont get paystubs and I dont get w2's. I pay my taxes in cash or money order. if I do it through mail, I recieve nothing back. no letter. nothing. if I do it in person, I get a payment receipt.

I dont know exactly what to do.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit score is inaccessible due to transunion denying my existence

Was your SSN issues after 2011? You can also reference this post https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/BoFA-card-denied-Invalid-SSN-Any-idea-about-this/td-p/... 

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

possibly. but it may have been earlier, since I had to get a broker to find an insurance for my car (car was made before vin numbers existed, so I couldnt apply for online car insurance. or I thought that at the time).
that was about in 2010 when I moved out of my parents house. my issues I know of started when I started looking for an apartment in 2014. but I could have just been unaware of what was happening.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

looked into that thread, looks like the guy was able to get a credit card the same day but BoA denied him a card.
seems like my problem is a bit more severe if banks simply dont trust me to have an account. 

I can provide paperwork of my income back to 2012, but it has to be manually entered in by whoever. I have to do this at the food stamps office to verify my income. 

I make about $6,000-$7,000 a year. perhaps this is another factor. but I have my own apartment, my own car insurance, and my own utility bills in my own name. my roomates just hand me cash. everything else is in my name. 

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you ever got someone to try and add you as an Authorized user to one of their accounts to see if that would at least provide some time of history for you?

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

parents refuse, and I dont know anyone who would do that or be able to do that. 

Message 6 of 10
Jannelo
Frequent Contributor

How are you paying your bills if you don't have a checking account, or am I misunderstanding your post?

Open Credit Cards:
Green Dot Primor Secured (5/18) - $450 CL (CLOSED 2/2020)
Capital One Platinum (8/18) PC to Quicksilver (9/19) - $3800 CL
Capital One QuicksilverOne (3/19) - $4800 CL
Merrick Bank DYL VISA - No AF (6/19) - $1400 CL
Discover it Cash Back (9/19) - $2800 CL
Amazon Prime Store Card (4/20) - $10,000 CL
NFCU cashRewards (4/20) - $4500 CL
BB&T Spectrum Cash Rewards (5/20) - $3500 CL
Navy Federal More Rewards American Express® Card (3/21) - $9700 SL - at 9.65 %.
Experian FICO Score - 8/2018: 528

Experian FICO 8 Score - 9/2022 - 720
Equifax FICO 8 score 2/2022- 692
TransUnion FICO 8 score 10/2022 - 728
Experian FICO Mortgage Score - 725
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Try filing a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. Each credit agency has a special team that deals with complaints from the CFPB. You file with the CFBP and they contact the credit bureau. You will need all the documentation you sent in to prove your existence and also you need the letters they sent back to you. If you don't have them I would suggest you just send off a letter saying you would like to update you file and send the updated info so you can have a response from them to include with the complaint.

Reading your post you said the address is the issue but I did not see you send proof of address. Does your drivers license match your address? If it does not, get it updated. You can send a utility bill but it sounds like your don't have utilities in your name because if this issue (chicken and egg)....so get the license updated if it is not.

Message 8 of 10
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

If all else fails. Time for a consumer protection attorney to get it right.

Message 9 of 10
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

The CRAs rely on data miners to gather and hold relevant consumer data.   Having an issue with both TU and EQ infers that the problem is with the data miners.

I would suggest that your first step be to request a Consumer Disclosure report from LexisNexis by US mail via CMRR.   Do NOT make the request online or via phone call; having the USPS return receipt may be necessary later as it provides physical confirmation they were successfully contacted.   If you have validation issues with LN you can work with them to resolve it. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.