cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT AT&T OR VERIZON??????

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT AT&T OR VERIZON??????

OK i HAD NO CREDIT A FEW MONTHS AGO & NEEDED A CELL PHONE (JUST TURNED 18 & GOT A VERY NICE JOB). VERIZON WANTED $400 DEPOSIT & AT&T WANTED $500 DEPOSIT, SO I DECIDED TO STICK WITH PREPAID, OK A MONTH LATER I GET A SECURED CARD & I DIDNT KNOW THAT MUCH ABOUT HOW CREDIT WORKS OR ABOTU INQS SO CALLED AT&T & THEY RAN ANOTHER APP & DEPOSIT STILL WAS $500.. OKTHEY INFORMED ME TO WAIT A FEW MONTHS, I DID & WENT BACK, DEPOSIT JUMPED FROM $500 TO $750, I KNOW I HAVE ALOT MORE INQS THEN I DID (STOPPED APPLYING) BUT THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS NOW I HAVE 2 SECURED CARDS, VERIZON LOWERED IT FROM $400 TO $75 THO Smiley Happy.. BUT I DONT WANT TO GET THE PHONE NOW BECUZ THEY HAVE A NEW PHONE COMING OUT IN SEPTEMBER THAT I WANT, SO MY QUESTION IS, HOW LONG DO YOU THINK VERIZON WILL KEEP THAT APPLICATION OPEN (I GOT IT RAN BE4 I HAD ANY INQS SO MAYBE THATS WHY ITS SO LOW BUT IM WORRIED THAT THEY MIGHT RE-RUN IT & SEE IT & UP THE DEPOSIT, I GOT APP #)? & DO PHONE COMPANIES LOOK AT YOUR INQS? IF YOU HAVE GOOD CREDIT, SAY I WAIT TIL OCTOBER & GET SOME GOOD GREDIT HISTORY & STOP APPLYING ANY WHERE, U THINK IT WILL GO DOWN A BIT BECUZ I REALLY WANTED THE IPHONE 4 ANY ADVICE WOULD B GREAT & P.S. I DONT LIKE TMOBILE NOR SPRINT

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT AT&T OR VERIZON??????

Hi Jay, it's a YMMV based on the vendor. I'd wait it out for as long as possible and then app again. While the new credit could have helped your FICO, if you had none before, the recent time since your last account opening is making them skiddish. Throw some inquiries in that and it hurts too. Waiting puts some time between your last pull and the app and maybe it'll reach a point real soon where you didn't need a deposit. Also, make sure your balances are in check when you app (less than 9% of the CL).

Also, some 3rd party service providers don't check your credit or hold it to the same scrutiny as compared to applying to the phone company itself. YMMV based on the provider of course.

BTW, opining here, it's better to wait it out after a new product launch anyway, if necessary. iPhone is a great example of that. The temptation was there on my end to get it and to upgrade from my 3G version, but I'm glad I waited.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Verizon will use a credit decision for 60 days.  Therefore, if you go to a different Verizon location and deicide to get new service, you will not have another new inquiry on your credit report. Day 61 a new application would be required.

@Anonymous wrote:

OK i HAD NO CREDIT A FEW MONTHS AGO & NEEDED A CELL PHONE (JUST TURNED 18 & GOT A VERY NICE JOB). VERIZON WANTED $400 DEPOSIT & AT&T WANTED $500 DEPOSIT, SO I DECIDED TO STICK WITH PREPAID, OK A MONTH LATER I GET A SECURED CARD & I DIDNT KNOW THAT MUCH ABOUT HOW CREDIT WORKS OR ABOTU INQS SO CALLED AT&T & THEY RAN ANOTHER APP & DEPOSIT STILL WAS $500.. OKTHEY INFORMED ME TO WAIT A FEW MONTHS, I DID & WENT BACK, DEPOSIT JUMPED FROM $500 TO $750, I KNOW I HAVE ALOT MORE INQS THEN I DID (STOPPED APPLYING) BUT THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS NOW I HAVE 2 SECURED CARDS, VERIZON LOWERED IT FROM $400 TO $75 THO Smiley Happy.. BUT I DONT WANT TO GET THE PHONE NOW BECUZ THEY HAVE A NEW PHONE COMING OUT IN SEPTEMBER THAT I WANT, SO MY QUESTION IS, HOW LONG DO YOU THINK VERIZON WILL KEEP THAT APPLICATION OPEN (I GOT IT RAN BE4 I HAD ANY INQS SO MAYBE THATS WHY ITS SO LOW BUT IM WORRIED THAT THEY MIGHT RE-RUN IT & SEE IT & UP THE DEPOSIT, I GOT APP #)? & DO PHONE COMPANIES LOOK AT YOUR INQS? IF YOU HAVE GOOD CREDIT, SAY I WAIT TIL OCTOBER & GET SOME GOOD GREDIT HISTORY & STOP APPLYING ANY WHERE, U THINK IT WILL GO DOWN A BIT BECUZ I REALLY WANTED THE IPHONE 4 ANY ADVICE WOULD B GREAT & P.S. I DONT LIKE TMOBILE NOR SPRINT

Message 3 of 4
blacklotus
Regular Contributor

I just rechecked my credit reports.

I recently bought the iPhone4 with the AT&T contract and thought they just pulled EX-  OMG they pulled ALL THREE credit bureau reports!!!

But the glass is half full IMHO because if they just pulled EX that would've been my lowest score!!! I guess this is good???

I had to pay 0 down payment.  That was definitely good.  But the phone itself was about $300 (32 GB).  I'm happy with it.

TU Fico 736 EQ Fico 730 (December 2012)
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.