Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DV vs Disputing....difference?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

DV vs Disputing....difference?

Could someone explain to me why most say to DV vs Disputing with Equifax, TransUnion, or Experian.

What is the difference and why is DV better than disputing?
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
danikasmom
Regular Contributor

Re: DV vs Disputing....difference?

DVing is making the CA validate the debt for you.  There are so many CAs that are reporting bogus debts, this way they have to PROVE it.  If they can't prove it, they have to stop reporting it.  If you dispute it to the credit bureaus, they don't have to go through that PLUS you don't have any type of control over it.  If they can't DV it, you can show proof that they can't and get it off of your report easier.  AND, if they continue to report it after you DV them and they can't validate, they are in violation and you can sue them.  Sounds better to me.  Also, from what I understand, I have read on here that disputes on your credit report don't look good so make it your last choice.
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

A CA must notify the CRAs of the dispute when you DV (required by law) - so disputing at the same time does their job for them (if they don't it's a violation).

Message Edited by Lady_Scarlet on 02-08-2008 12:20 PM
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you dispute with the CRA first and the TL come back validated is there a time period you should wait before sending a DV letter to CA or TL? And could this hurt you in any way by going in this order or is it just a longer process?
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

No time frame that I know of and since CRA's answer is amlost always that it 'veified' - doesn't accomplish much IMO.  You might be able to time it well enough to DV then dispute and the CA can't verify  on the dispute because they haven't validataed yet (but you don't know were they at at in the process of collecting, sending to you etc until receive or don't receive something from them).  They could mail to you on day 10 and verify with the CRA on day 11 on the dispute you initiated and there is no foul.

My philosophy may be infuenced by knowing how CRAs handle disputes (run thru an automated system with a 2 didgit code as for why) - I have little faith in their ability to resolve a situation even if it is incorect/inaccurate info.  Heck EX gave me a second tax lien when all I was trying to do was prove that the one showing has been released - had 1 paid and 1 unpaid at that point with the same dates/amounts.  Okay, they did fix that quickly when I went irate on them - but everything is automated there is no 'common sense' applied.
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

twinranch wrote:
If you dispute with the CRA first and the TL come back validated is there a time period you should wait before sending a DV letter to CA or TL? And could this hurt you in any way by going in this order or is it just a longer process?

This is just my opinion.......When you dispute  the CRA notifies the CA....so they know that you are awake and that gets them going.

I never disputed a CA or a OC that was reporting before I DVd or sent an OC letter.

Now I was told that an OC must answer this letter only if you disputed first....Im not sure it is just what a forum member said....it does make sense.  SO I would say....if past SOL  dispute first then when they verify send OC letter. AND  if there is a CA attached to this OC  DV them a week before you dispute the OC.

I sent a DV to the CA....waited to see if the answered....if the did & didn't have the info that I requested (yes they didn't have to answer everything that I asked for) I would send 2nd DV telling them that they didn't answer the DV and now they have 15 days to delete.

IF you DV first they are not ready & there is a good chance that they do not have any info. Most things that I wanted I knew that they didn't have but I made them think that they needed it!

I also NEVER touched anything that wasn't past SOL!!!!!

Message Edited by HappyDays on 02-08-2008 11:34 AM

Message Edited by HappyDays on 02-08-2008 11:35 AM
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

if within SOL what will happen
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

At any time that you dispute or DV  any creditor can file a lawsuit for judgment!

That sounds wierd...what I mean is  a dispute or DV lets them know that you are aware of the debt.

They can sue even if you do nothing!

Message Edited by HappyDays on 02-08-2008 11:39 AM
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

if two different CA are reporting on same report can you DV the first CA and have it removed. when I called the OC they said my acct was CO I would have to talk to the CA bcause they could not give me any info. they sent me to parogon way  and they don't have any info on me. the day it will drop off my report is may 2011 but I just feel like it went into default a lot sooner than what this shows, but on the other hand correct me if I am wrong I may have made a pmt (really can't remember) to a CA several years ago because I didn't know any better and that could have started a new DOFD because i'm in Tx . Anyway I wanted to get the exact date from OC and they can't tell me anything...? 
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

twinranch wrote:
if two different CA are reporting on same report can you DV the first CA and have it removed. when I called the OC they said my acct was CO I would have to talk to the CA bcause they could not give me any info. they sent me to parogon way  and they don't have any info on me. the day it will drop off my report is may 2011 but I just feel like it went into default a lot sooner than what this shows, but on the other hand correct me if I am wrong I may have made a pmt (really can't remember) to a CA several years ago because I didn't know any better and that could have started a new DOFD because i'm in Tx . Anyway I wanted to get the exact date from OC and they can't tell me anything...? 

Your credit report should have DOFD or say "This account is scheduled to remain on your report until____" Also you can call up Equifax, TransUnion, Experian and ask them the FCRA compliance date or DOFD, date it will be removed, etc  however you want to read it. This is what I did.

As far as I know, making a payment does not reset the DOFD. DOFD is the date it went deliquent and was never caught up. Unless your payment caught you up to date. But I am just learning, but I believe on the sticky post at the top of the forum where it explains DOFD it says this.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.