Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dave Ramsey

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Dave Ramsey

Savings321 wrote:
I have to check out that book. It's sounds awesome. Just wanted to add my 2 cents, cause I'm pretty obsessed with saving myself. HSBCdirect (www.hsbcdirect.com) has an awesome online savings account 5.05% plus they just added an online account for bill pay that earns 2.5%. It's a pretty awesome deal and their customer service is pretty good too. Just wanted to throw that out there in case anyone wanted to shop around for a good online savings account. Definetly give it two thumbs up.

I'm a big fan of www.gmacbank.com.  Consistently higher rates (5.31% now I think) than HSBC or ING, great customer service and fast transfers.  I've had an account for at least 5 years so they are no johnny-come-lately to the online account scene.

As for Senor Ramsey ... I'm not a total fan but I am in favor of doing whatever you need to do to get out of debt and get $ in savings (short of robbing a bank or killing someone for the insurance proceeds).  But if you want the book, why not get it for FREE from the library?
Message 21 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

But if you want the book, why not get it for FREE from the library?

That sounds like something Dave Ramsey would suggest.

Or would he ??? Smiley Very Happy
Message 22 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

masdeocho wrote:

I am in favor of doing whatever you need to do to get out of debt and get $ in savings (short of robbing a bank or killing someone for the insurance proceeds).

Does that leave one an out to do contract killings if no insurance payout is involved? Smiley Very Happy

Message 23 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

KevKaos wrote:
My recommendation would be to see if your local library has the book in its collection. If it doesn't, and you are in a major metro area, you can usually ask that they purchase the book for their collection.  If the book is considered to be useful to others, they will likely order it.  I know for a fact that works in my area.  Anyway, try to borrow it, read it, and take notes.  If you think it is worth continuing with, buy it. It is one of those books that you will find yourself going back to if you want to follow his system step by step.  I just bought it outright and I have gone back to it several times. 

A lot of libraries, even small ones in small towns, participate in book loan programs whereby a book owned by Library System X can be loaned to Library System Y.

For purchase, there's Amazon, Ebay and Half. Half is an Ebay company were you buy, as opposed to bid on, books and media. I've gotten a number of new and used books on Half at good deals. You need an Ebay account, and you just login to Half with your Ebay account. A Paypal account also makes payment easy.

As with all things, look at the price including shipping. Might turn out cheaper on Amazon to get it brand new, or maybe only cost you $1 more for Amazon peace of mind. [Knowing it's a real company behind the website and not an Ebay scam artist.]

Message 24 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

Noah_Bodie wrote:

masdeocho wrote:

I am in favor of doing whatever you need to do to get out of debt and get $ in savings (short of robbing a bank or killing someone for the insurance proceeds).

Does that leave one an out to do contract killings if no insurance payout is involved? Smiley Very Happy

Of course, Noah, I knew you'd have no problem with the ethics of that solution.  Wait a minute, there IS a problem with it ... no bank or insurance company gets $crewed in the process ... Smiley Happy
Message 25 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

masdeocho wrote:

Of course, Noah, I knew you'd have no problem with the ethics of that solution.  Wait a minute, there IS a problem with it ... no bank or insurance company gets $crewed in the process ... Smiley Happy

Good point. I was so pre-occupied with bloodlust that I totally missed the financial angle. Smiley Wink
Message 26 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

DR's book is plain common sense.  Ofcourse it's better to be debt free but if you don't build up your credit, guess what, you'll have to pay higher rates etc.  I've been to the book store and have seen books with titles such as how to get out of debt. Money Makers! IMO, DR's book is meant for people with no financial common sense(except the people on this boardSmiley Wink.  I can make that assessment since I've read the book.  btw I think I might be a little biased since I have a degree in Accounting and another in Finance, besides being a cpaSmiley Indifferent
Message 27 of 69
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

crocpa wrote:
 I might be a little biased since I have a degree in Accounting and another in Finance, besides being a cpa

And I thought you were a crocodile's personal assistant!  Smiley Very Happy
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 28 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MidnightVoice wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I might be a little biased since I have a degree in Accounting and another in Finance, besides being a cpa

And I thought you were a crocodile's personal assistant! Smiley Very Happy

Yeah, me too. I'm a lot less impressed now that I know the truth. Smiley Very Happy
Message 29 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Ofcourse it's better to be debt free but if you don't build up your credit, guess what, you'll have to pay higher rates etc.

If you are debt free and don't buy anything on credit, you won't have to worry about your FICO (I LOVE DEBT SCORE!)and the only high interest rates you have to worry about are on your investments. I here a lot of Finance/Accounting types shoot holes in Dave Ramsey's debt free game plan because they only look at the math. Personal finance is as much about behavior and risk as it is about math. I'll know that I am financially successful when my FICO score finally reaches zero. High interest rates can be a great thing, it you are the one collecting the interest. Smiley Wink
Message 30 of 69
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.