Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt Consolidation Loan or Other Alternative

tag
mmajer4211
Regular Contributor

Debt Consolidation Loan or Other Alternative

So for a very long time, I had bad credit just by being stupid and irresponsible. I have since improved my credit score drastically to right around 680 for all 3 very recently.

Since my credit was so bad for so long my wife took on the responsibility of putting everything under her name including her vehicle ($25k), co-signing on my vehicle (31k), our house ($244k), and all credit cards. Prior to us being in a good financial state, we racked up about $30k in credit card debt and have just been paying the minimum. We are down to about $17k now but obviously, it just feels like banging our heads against a wall with how slow it's going.

Should I take out a debt consolidation loan to lower the interest rate and relieve some of the stress on her credit report? Is there something different I should do? Her credit has taken a hit because of DTI and we'd like to get it up to where she used to be which is right around 740. I also plan on refinancing my vehicle into my name to lower the rate as well because it's at 9% right now. Would that be advisable too?

Thanks a lot for your responses.

MASSIVE OVERHALL (48) MONTHS IN

Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.