Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt. This ends now. Help me Plan the Payoff

tag
rollerkosh
Established Member

Debt. This ends now. Help me Plan the Payoff

Personal loan 1 Secured - Currently at $3000 - 29 months left - $ 140 a month 

Personal loan 2 unsecured - Currently at $600 left - 16 months left - $ 47 a month

Discover - $7200 Limit - currently at $7000 - ~$140 a month minimum

US Bank - $5000 Limit - Currently at $4800 - ~$125 a month minimum

Amex - $2000 Limit - Currently at $2000 - ~$50 a month minimum

Capital One Venture - $2500 Limit - Currently at $2500 - ~$55 a month minimum

Capital One 2 - $3000 Limit - Currently at $2950 - ~$75 a month minimum 

Capital One 3 - $900 Limit - Currently at $900 - ~$25 a month minimum

I have $14700 that I want to Pay down systematically a combo of the Loan and bring the Revolving to at or near 30%. I will have another $2000 at end of the year for one more round of taking down the debt.

What is the best approach to coordinate this to maximize Cash flow as a result of paying off debt AND increase the credit score to a point where I can request future CLI's and Refinances to lower the Credit Balance against available even further and/or lower monthly loan payment amount.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Debt. This ends now. Help me Plan the Payoff

You can throw your CC info into my spreadsheet in my sig link to get your payoff amounts to see FICO score increases.

Personally I would pay the highest APR interest first because that will be real money savings over time.  Pay the minimums on everything else and knock out the highest APR each month.

The loans won't specifically help your FICO much with a paydown and paying them both to $0 may hurt your FICO if you don't have other installment loans open and reporting.

Message 2 of 11
Davis9508
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You can throw your CC info into my spreadsheet in my sig link to get your payoff amounts to see FICO score increases.

Personally I would pay the highest APR interest first because that will be real money savings over time.  Pay the minimums on everything else and knock out the highest APR each month.

The loans won't specifically help your FICO much with a paydown and paying them both to $0 may hurt your FICO if you don't have other installment loans open and reporting.

I'm sorry, I don't have any advise on paying down, I will leave that to the super smart people on this forum. I just wanted to say thanks to ABCD2199 for the spreadsheets. I just finished putting all my info and can't wait to watch the numbers go down Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 11
DollyLama
Established Contributor

@rollerkosh wrote:

Personal loan 1 Secured - Currently at $3000 - 29 months left - $ 140 a month 

Personal loan 2 unsecured - Currently at $600 left - 16 months left - $ 47 a month

Discover - $7200 Limit - currently at $7000 - ~$140 a month minimum

US Bank - $5000 Limit - Currently at $4800 - ~$125 a month minimum

Amex - $2000 Limit - Currently at $2000 - ~$50 a month minimum

Capital One Venture - $2500 Limit - Currently at $2500 - ~$55 a month minimum

Capital One 2 - $3000 Limit - Currently at $2950 - ~$75 a month minimum 

Capital One 3 - $900 Limit - Currently at $900 - ~$25 a month minimum

I have $14700 that I want to Pay down systematically a combo of the Loan and bring the Revolving to at or near 30%. I will have another $2000 at end of the year for one more round of taking down the debt.

What is the best approach to coordinate this to maximize Cash flow as a result of paying off debt AND increase the credit score to a point where I can request future CLI's and Refinances to lower the Credit Balance against available even further and/or lower monthly loan payment amount.

Everyone will have different opinions on what to pay. 

If it were me, I would payoff Personal Loan 2 $600, Amex $2k (believe they do not like carrying balances), Cap One 3 $900, Capital One Venture $2500 that would be $6K leaving you 8.7k . I choose to this because you do not want more than 1/2 your cards reporting a balance. 

With remaining, I would pay $2750 on Cap One 2 (individual util <9%), $3600 on Discover (util <49%), and remaining 2350 on US Bank (close to 50%). 

This would immediately wipe out $177 in minimum payments a month, your total utilization against ALL bankcards would be around 22% overall utilization plus the savings in the reduced minimum payments on the 3 CCs left.

Your next goal is total utilization optimal at less than 8.9% threshold, and then work with the savings, or the $2k to work individually on the remaining cards, Cap One-first priority so only 2 of 6 cards report, US bank under 49%, etc. until you use the AZEO, all zero except one reporting. No balances on 5 of 6 cards at statement cuts, with the one card remaining less than 8.9, always pay at that time in full before statement cut, not due date, so when it reports to bureau, it will report a 0 balance on those 5 cards. PIF after receiving statement on the 6th card (whichever you choose), then charge however much you wish, as long as you can pay throughout the month, and down to 8.9 before that statement cuts. 

Many here charge for example have a 1k balance, they can charge 750, following week pay off, then charge 500, pay off, and right before statement cuts, paydown and leave no more than $89 max. on a 1k CL report to bureaus. You never want all zero balances on the revolvers. And can go lower than 8.9, threshold are 49%, 29%, and 8.9% for seeing score boosts overall. Anything over 50 or definitely maxxed out could result in closed accounts or balance chasing by creditors, reducing your CL with every payment. 

Message 4 of 11
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Installment loans don't factor into number of cards with balances; DL think this is the second time I've seen you recommend paying off an installment loan over a credit card, can you explain why that's the case to me please?

I personally fall into the category of saving the most money possible and getting out of debt the quickest... which is paying the highest APR tradeline regardless of type; however, unless we're talking subprime loans or worse, CC APR's are almost universally higher and at that point paying those down is both the biggest financial win and the biggest FICO win.

Minimum payment is sort of a red herring, it's actually one of the dealership tricks since was talking about that recently with someone: don't worry about the overall price of the car just worry about what you can afford as a payment.  Bad mojo that haha.

        
Message 5 of 11
DollyLama
Established Contributor

I only suggested it in this case, as there are two loans, and the balance of $600 is quite small for one, but $47 montlhy payment and the months remaining indicate to me it is not a low interest rate loan. Possible CFA?

As I stated everyone's approach would be different, I see the word "debt", but also asks to get scores and utlization, so chance of better chance of credit line increases. I do understand that the highest apr card would be beneficial, only playing with numbers in my case, if my scenario. 

Apologies if I misled, I don't know the APR, or if the OP is struggling without this major cash flow to be able to continue monthly payments, worry about adverse action carrying high balances. 

Please edit my post if you think it will be determential to the OP, as I am by no means an expert, and working on scores with help of others advice. I would not wish to be led down the wrong path either. 

Message 6 of 11
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@DollyLama wrote:

I only suggested it in this case, as there are two loans, and the balance of $600 is quite small for one, but $47 montlhy payment and the months remaining indicate to me it is not a low interest rate loan. Possible CFA?

As I stated everyone's approach would be different, I see the word "debt", but also asks to get scores and utlization, so chance of better chance of credit line increases. I do understand that the highest apr card would be beneficial, only playing with numbers in my case, if my scenario. 

Apologies if I misled, I don't know the APR, or if the OP is struggling without this major cash flow to be able to continue monthly payments, worry about adverse action carrying high balances. 

Please edit my post if you think it will be determential to the OP, as I am by no means an expert, and working on scores with help of others advice. I would not wish to be led down the wrong path either. 

Nah we're just spitballing here and differing opinions are always good.  Sadly even if you pay a CFA off it still hits your score for 10 years... I hate the one I have now, asked the lender to remove it but newp, even though I never missed a payment or was late, damned thing penalizes me.  Fortunately it's only on 2 bureaus, and not sure if anything other than FICO 04 and likely FICO Nextgen care, and I can live without EQ FICO 5 as long as my TU FICO 4 and EX FICO 2 are above 740 which TU already is and I think EX will be when my lien is gone.

        
Message 7 of 11
DollyLama
Established Contributor

I hear ya, if I had actively joined the challenge last year, not Feb 2017. I would have had a CFA fall off within a year. No, I received a check in the mail from a CFA few months before Christmas, after some car repairs. I thought what the heck, not too big of an amount, I only needed to endorse it . Seemed so convenient at the time.  So....shot off my big toe for another 10 years. Smiley Mad

Message 8 of 11
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@rollerkosh wrote:

Personal loan 1 Secured - Currently at $3000 - 29 months left - $ 140 a month Just keep paying monthly

Personal loan 2 unsecured - Currently at $600 left - 16 months left - $ 47 a month  Just keep paying monthly

Discover - $7200 Limit - currently at $7000 - ~$140 a month minimum Pay $3000 towards this one now, then work on getting it down to $2000 balance

US Bank - $5000 Limit - Currently at $4800 - ~$125 a month minimum Pay $3350 towards this one now

Amex - $2000 Limit - Currently at $2000 - ~$50 a month minimum Pay this one down to zero now

Capital One Venture - $2500 Limit - Currently at $2500 - ~$55 a month minimum Pay this one down to zero now

Capital One 2 - $3000 Limit - Currently at $2950 - ~$75 a month minimum Pay this one down to zero now

Capital One 3 - $900 Limit - Currently at $900 - ~$25 a month minimum  Pay this one down to zero now

If you do this you'll get a tremendous boost within 2 months.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

What's a CFA?

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.