Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt collectors called on 11 year old debt

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Debt collectors called on 11 year old debt

I just got a call from a collection agency about an account that was closed in 2005. I told her I do not know about this and I owe nothing. Can this show up on my credit report? I live in Illinois and the statute of limitations says 5 years and 10 years with a written contract.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Debt collectors called on 11 year old debt

No, the max time an item can remain on file is 7.5 yrs from the accounts DoFD so anything from 2005 is 4 years+ out of statute. The FCRA is what controls how long sonething can report not a states SOL. SOL is just the timeline that a state allows a creditor to sue for a particular type of credit.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I just got a call from a collection agency about an account that was closed in 2005. I told her I do not know about this and I owe nothing. Can this show up on my credit report? I live in Illinois and the statute of limitations says 5 years and 10 years with a written contract.

Send them a cease & desist and you will never hear from THAT CA again.

Message 3 of 5
Berk
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Send them a cease & desist and you will never hear from THAT CA again.

Yep, not that CA but you will hear from the next one when the first one sells your file to the next one - on down the line. I have Zombie Debt that is 30 years old still chasing me. About every 2-3 years I will get phone calls from CA's claiming I owe them money. I insist that I have no idea what they are talking about and that I want to see it in writing. It has started to take about 4 of these phone calls before I get a generic letter claiming that I owe the CA money. I respond with a cease and desist and don't hear from them again. In fact, this last one got a little entertaining as the CA who called me hung up on ME several times. She knew her company didn't have a leg to stand on and she did not want to mail me anything. I did not give out my address either. I did finally get the letter though. Just remember - do not admit to anything, do not agree to anything, keep insisting that you want their claim in writing. With all the fraud going on I am not going to believe one word of someone telling me I owe them money over the phone. I want all supporting documentation. Naturally, because the statute of limitations has run they cannot produce anything that makes the claim valid. 

Good luck and keep us posted.

Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Also be aware that states are beginning to enact their own statutes/regs pertaining to debt that with expired SOL that requires advisements as to SOL status and enhanced disclosure requirements.

I would advise checking your state-specific debt collection requirements.

The most notable are Texas, NY, and CA.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.