cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt went to collections agency and I paid original creditor online, now what?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Debt went to collections agency and I paid original creditor online, now what?

I got a letter in the mail yesterday on 4/12/19. All I read was the top of the letter which said

"Client: [Name of my city],       Ticket #: "XXXXXX",           Date of Ticket: 7/31/2018".

I assumed it was a red light ticket. I searched for the city's red light ticket payment portal online, found the ticket online, and paid the $200 online.

Today I reread the letter and realized the letter was actually from a collections agency. The body of the letter says: "The debt listed has been reffered to us for collection by our client [Name of city]. Your account is listed as delinquent with an amount due of $200."  Then it goes on to say I can make a payment at the collection agency's web address (different from the city's site where I paid) and gives me an account number (different from the ticket #). It goes on to talk about notifying within 30 days if I want to dispute the debt. Then at the very bottom it says the Statement Date: 04/03/2019.  

So what happens now that I've paid the debt online to the city when it was actually already sent to collections?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Debt went to collections agency and I paid original creditor online, now what?

Hopfully the city will recall it.  You can always call on Monday to ask.

Message 2 of 6
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Debt went to collections agency and I paid original creditor online, now what?

@Anonymous wrote:

I got a letter in the mail yesterday on 4/12/19. All I read was the top of the letter which said

"Client: [Name of my city],       Ticket #: "XXXXXX",           Date of Ticket: 7/31/2018".

I assumed it was a red light ticket. I searched for the city's red light ticket payment portal online, found the ticket online, and paid the $200 online.

Today I reread the letter and realized the letter was actually from a collections agency. The body of the letter says: "The debt listed has been reffered to us for collection by our client [Name of city]. Your account is listed as delinquent with an amount due of $200."  Then it goes on to say I can make a payment at the collection agency's web address (different from the city's site where I paid) and gives me an account number (different from the ticket #). It goes on to talk about notifying within 30 days if I want to dispute the debt. Then at the very bottom it says the Statement Date: 04/03/2019.  

So what happens now that I've paid the debt online to the city when it was actually already sent to collections?

To cover yourself, write the collection agency and dispute the charge as being paid and attach your online payment as proof. Send it “Certified—Return Receipt Requested.”

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 3 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The CRAs have a new internal policy that resulted from a settlement with the offices of the AGs of several states, and now incorportated into the CRAs policy statement as provided in their National Consumer Assistance Plan, that they will no longer include any collections in consumer credit reports that resulted from debts that were not the result of any contract agreement with the consumer.

That specifically includes government parking and other traffic tickets.

Just submit proof to the CRA that the collection pertained to a government issued ticket, and request removal of the collection per their new policy statement.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

The CRAs have a new internal policy that resulted from a settlement with the offices of the AGs of several states, and now incorportated into the CRAs policy statement as provided in their National Consumer Assistance Plan, that they will no longer include any collections in consumer credit reports that resulted from debts that were not the result of any contract agreement with the consumer.

That specifically includes government parking and other traffic tickets.

Just submit proof to the CRA that the collection pertained to a government issued ticket, and request removal of the collection per their new policy statement.

I vaguely remember seeing this in the news- thanks for posting this info!

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the help everyone!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.