cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete inquiries for not able to verify my identity?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Delete inquiries for not able to verify my identity?

Hello! So here's the deal. I've been working hard on my credit, I'm in a good place now, with some cards growing and currently in the garden for at least a year, trying to get only CLIs.

However, I do have some fresh inquiries from banks which denied me for not being able to verify my identity. Is there any way I can dispute this? I do not plan to dispute valid inquiries (denied or approved) for reasons that I understand (score, usage, inquiries, etc), but I find it unfair to have an inquiry from a bank which did not verify me or did not do anything to try to verify me (like sending documents, etc).

I do not have SSN but I do have ITIN, and I've been able to get CCs, car loan, cell phone plans and another stuff.

Can this be done?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Delete inquiries for not able to verify my identity?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello! So here's the deal. I've been working hard on my credit, I'm in a good place now, with some cards growing and currently in the garden for at least a year, trying to get only CLIs.

However, I do have some fresh inquiries from banks which denied me for not being able to verify my identity. Is there any way I can dispute this? I do not plan to dispute valid inquiries (denied or approved) for reasons that I understand (score, usage, inquiries, etc), but I find it unfair to have an inquiry from a bank which did not verify me or did not do anything to try to verify me (like sending documents, etc).

I do not have SSN but I do have ITIN, and I've been able to get CCs, car loan, cell phone plans and another stuff.

Can this be done?

Thanks!

You can dispute anything you want from your reports, but inquiries are probably the most difficult. You would have to get the banks to remove them and that will be like pulling teeth.

Message 2 of 5
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

OP, once you got the letter stating decline was due to unable to verify identity (assuming that was the only reason), you should have immediately called them! Why wait for them to contact you?

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Are you saying that the CRA in fact, did not fill the inquiry by sending a credit report to the inquiree?

Message 4 of 5
Strogen
Frequent Contributor

Thing is you submitted an application for credit and authorized the credit pull. 

It does not matter what reason they give, you authorized it. 

A Discover rep told me wrong about their business product, that I would not be denied for having 2 pre existing Discover cards. I applied and was instantly denied for that reason alone. 

It took 3 months from that date to get the inquiry removed. Two denial letters were sent in the first 2 months and I had to call in each time explaining the situation in detail to everyone I talked with. 

Eventually someone in an obscure department that handles these things found the recording where I explicitly asked the rep "will I be denied for have 2 Discover accounts already?".  Discover agreed this was their error and sent a letter confirming the deletion of the inquiry. I just received the letter before Christmas. 

Seriously, it IS like pulling teeth even when you have a VERY solid case. Even then they could have said "Tough, you applied and consent was given". This will likely be the only deleted inquiry I will ever have. 

I would not pursue this OP. 

807 TU FICO Score 8.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.