cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dell let someone steal $3000 from my DFS account and my FICO score went down by 11 points.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Dell let someone steal $3000 from my DFS account and my FICO score went down by 11 points.

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks. They did not mention any kind of letter that I can use with the credit bureaus I'll look into that.

Try to send them an email and see if you can get someone to respond with the info. All you need is something that's from them that says you have alerted them to fraud. Maybe email them and say you misplaced your case number for the $3000 in fraud or something so that they will respond with a case number that shows there was indeed fraud and you can send that off. They are *supposed* to mark the account as in dispute when you have fraud anyway. 

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Dell let someone steal $3000 from my DFS account and my FICO score went down by 11 points.

Thanks for the help.

Message 12 of 14
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

There are two totally separate procedures.

First is dealing with the creditor to get the fraudulant charges removed from your account.

Second is getting the reporting of any information that has resulted from the identity theft related information removed from your credit report.

You have to deal with the creditor regarding procedure 1, but the FCRA establishes an identity theft process that enables you to get any informatin that has been reported to a CRA blocked from any credit reports they issue without any involvement or approval of the creditor.

See FCRA 609B and the detailed discussion of the FCRA identity theft process provided in the sticky post in the upper portion of the General Credit Topics forum section.

You dont need to wait for the creditor to report correction of deletion of the information.

In a nutshell, if you file a police report asserting that you did not athorize the transaction(s) and send a copy to the CRA, your assertion in the form of the sworn police report is adequate to get the info blocked from your credit report without ANY involvement of the creditor or any reporting of deletion by the creditor.

You then can pursue the matter of convincing the creditor that the charges were not valid without any current impact on your credit report and score.

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much for the information. I'll get started right away.

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.