Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did something change with credit karma for new year 2017

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did something change with credit karma for new year 2017

I was just wondering if vantage 3.0 has changed anything starting this new year. I logged onto credit karma and my TU for there jumped 33 points and the other jumped 40 points. That is a big change and even though I know the scores are fako I wonder why the jump. There honestly is no differences yet on the reports. My discover it has not had a statement yet so it does not see that new credit line and when it reports I'm sure my aaoa will prevent a increase.  Just wondering if anyone read anything that may have mentioned something. My overall util was the only thing that changed from 16 percent to 14. 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Did something change with credit karma for new year 2017

@Anonymous wrote:

I was just wondering if vantage 3.0 has changed anything starting this new year. I logged onto credit karma and my TU for there jumped 33 points and the other jumped 40 points. That is a big change and even though I know the scores are fako I wonder why the jump. There honestly is no differences yet on the reports. My discover it has not had a statement yet so it does not see that new credit line and when it reports I'm sure my aaoa will prevent a increase.  Just wondering if anyone read anything that may have mentioned something. My overall util was the only thing that changed from 16 percent to 14. 

Nah, it's stupidly rare that scores get modified after release; it would break all the lenders models basically unless there was a clear rationale to do so.

I think the HELOC change in FICO 04, and the AU tweak in FICO 8 might be the only two examples of that and I don't know the full story of the HELOC change as that wasn't really that clear and was before my time... in the last decade, and both were fixes to something clearly broken.

Look at your aging on everything, you're right something probably changed and it likely wasn't the 16% to 14% though it'd be helpful to get the full tradeline information in terms of original balance / limit -> new balance / limit if you're looking into it.

        
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

With that type of point gain I would think something significant like a baddie falling off took place.  Did you have a negative item on one of your accounts reach the 7 year mark, for example?

Message 3 of 9
mattmyFIC0
Established Contributor

I take their scores with a grain of salt. I was at 688 TU on credit karma last month because of a new inq (down from 734). When I updated my score two days ago I am back up to 735 TU. They show my utilization at 0% even though it's really 1%

Scores 01/04/2017: EQ 719, TU 750, EX 716
Goal scores: 740 across the board
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yup, ANY utilization at all that's less than 1% will be viewed/scored as 1% utilization.  CK fluff software however will round these numbers down to 0 often however to give the account holder the impression that they aren't reporting balances high enough to yield 1% utilization when this is not the case.

That's crazy that under VS 3.0 you'd see that many points change due to a single inquiry.  Under FICO models it would be a couple of points at best in most cases.

Message 5 of 9
mattmyFIC0
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yup, ANY utilization at all that's less than 1% will be viewed/scored as 1% utilization.  CK fluff software however will round these numbers down to 0 often however to give the account holder the impression that they aren't reporting balances high enough to yield 1% utilization when this is not the case.

That's crazy that under VS 3.0 you'd see that many points change due to a single inquiry.  Under FICO models it would be a couple of points at best in most cases.

yeah with fico it was never more 3 or 4 points. Now I have so many inq that it doesn't change my score to add them.

Scores 01/04/2017: EQ 719, TU 750, EX 716
Goal scores: 740 across the board
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I feel like under FICO scoring, inquiries are the least of anyones concerns in terms of scoring.  While many say that they stick around for 2 years but impact score for 1 year, I've never felt their impact for more then 3-4 months, and their impact is minimal anyway.

I think people stress too much over inquiries, generally speaking, from reading these forums.  If you only have a few, there's no reason to sweat them.  If you already have a lot, there's no reason to sweat them because due to diminishing returns eventually more don't do any damage anyway.

Message 7 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

It's actually scorecard dependent as my TU behaves the exact same way.

My VS EQ/EX I lose a handful to maybe 10ish points for some inquiries which is sort of similar to FICO though I think more extreme (vis a vis I just dropped -2 for an inquiry on EX FICO 8)

TU inquiry: 734 -> 663 (mortgage refinance inquiry in may 2016)

I'm viewed as a risky borrower there apparently as I have a 30 day late from 10/15 only on TU.  That same mortgage inquiry on EQ VS 3.0 was 11 points, and I have more inquiries on EQ too so it wasn't simply a binning thing.  Right now I'm at 699 TU vs. 785 EQ, that stupid late is the ballgame.  VS 3 appears to be more recent history focused than most FICO algorithms, and inquiries are definitely recent history so I'm not that surprised that they have more impact there.  

Lenders don't care apparently though so I'm wondering if Vantage got it wrong from their dataset, certainly it hasn't made great inroads into the market.

        
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mine hasn't changed at all this year, still 75 points lower than FICO 08 lol CK is for looking at accounts and balances, keeping track of statement dates and other useful information. Their score is useless IMHO
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.