Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Didn't owe didn't file

tag
Sbrooks1
Valued Contributor

Didn't owe didn't file

I did not file state tax as every year I got a small refund , now I know how horrible that was. Just got a cancelled DL and a lien notice even tho I was due a refund for every year
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Didn't owe didn't file

Should be easy to fix. They filed an SFR or substitute for return. Basically they file a return for you that will incur the most tax liability. No deductions and 1 dependent and now it's up to you to file all the returns with the proper deductions and dependents to get it corrected. Good luck getting money back if it's more that 3 years old. 

Don't procrastinate, get your docs together, head to a cheap accountant and have him get the missing returns processed and filed WITH a receipt showing it got delivered. 

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

What impact does that have on your FICO scores?

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hopefully no impact under the new CFAB.

Message 4 of 10
Sbrooks1
Valued Contributor

BBS waiting on the lien to be be filed , no taxes owed but the grand sorry state of Louisiana allows a 500 penalty plus 25 %of tax even if I was due a refund (which I was)
Message 5 of 10
Sbrooks1
Valued Contributor

Anticipate 100-200 point drop and my life is over
Message 6 of 10
jamie123
Valued Contributor

@Sbrooks1 wrote:
Anticipate 100-200 point drop and my life is over

If I were you I would move heaven and earth right now to stop that State tax lien from hitting your reports!

State tax liens are very, very, very, very difficult to have removed once they hit your reports.

It took me and my attorney 19 months to pay my 2 State tax liens and JUST HAVE THEM REPORTED TO THE CREDIT BUREAUS AS PAID with the State of Ohio!

Yeah, don't mess around with tax liens. Act now!

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 7 of 10
Sbrooks1
Valued Contributor

That's my plan, but not sure how
Message 8 of 10
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

Sorry that happened to you. A big painful life lesson, don't mess with uncle Sam.

Good luck.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sbrooks1 wrote:
I did not file state tax as every year I got a small refund , now I know how horrible that was. Just got a cancelled DL and a lien notice even tho I was due a refund for every year

I dont know about LA and Napoleanic Code, but Its hard to argue this entertaining documentary about the income tax doesnt effect the OP, or most Americans:  Aaron Russo's "America: Freedom to Fascism"  

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.