Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Directv/Sequium Asset Solution - Added to report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Directv/Sequium Asset Solution - Added to report

I had an account with Directv and needed to turn in equipment. At somepoint, they send to collection agency who called me once two weeks ago. I returned equipment and paid balance owed. Last week item landed on credit report. Other than the one phone call, there was no other contact. Aren't they supposed to send correspondence? Not denying debt was mine, just the manner in which they handled. I am located in California and debt was less than a year old.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Directv/Sequium Asset Solution - Added to report

@Anonymous wrote:

I had an account with Directv and needed to turn in equipment. At somepoint, they send to collection agency who called me once two weeks ago. I returned equipment and paid balance owed. Last week item landed on credit report. Other than the one phone call, there was no other contact. Aren't they supposed to send correspondence? Not denying debt was mine, just the manner in which they handled. I am located in California and debt was less than a year old.

California is pretty tricky for debt collectors. Under law they have to notify you in WRITTEN Response of a collection activity, and must notify you thirty days before they put the debt in collections. Loans run a bit differently.  Under the law they can report anything past thirty days of notification. If they did not physically mail then I believe you could dispute this with them.

Final :  Something I would remember is that you need to keep anything that they send you for a course of a few months. Any letter, phone call, phone number. This will help in you're dispute, and will assist with changing you're record.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for replying. They didn't send me any correspondence at all. I only received one phone call from them. In looking at review, this seems to be how they work.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pay that debt. It will be removed from your report.
Good luck.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I apologize for my late response here, I have had a lot going on. Anyway paying it off should remove it entirely. Ask them for a PAY IN FULL settlement offer. Its a common tactic that these companies sell the debt off. Good way to make the books look green. 

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure you read my post. I paid it with Directv. They ( collection agency) updated it paid collection yesterday.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh my bad Smiley Tongue!

That is great to see they removed it, or changed the status of it! #Winning!

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

One reporting agency removed it after I disputed. Waiting on the other two. I paid 1/11, they showed up around 1/21. I am hoping the other two remove it.

Message 8 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

No, a debt collector is not required to send any prior communication or notice prior to reporting their collection to a CRA.

The only requirement for reporting their collection is that they had legitimate collection authority prior to their reporting.

Legitimate collection authority can either be by assignment of collection authority by the owner, or by their purchase of the debt.

Notice to the consumer is only required after they have initiated communication with the consumer.  See FDCPA 809(a).

While most debt collectors will not take the time to report a collection after the debt is paid, they are not precluded from doing so if they had legit collection authority at some prior time.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Notice to the consumer is only required after they have initiated communication with the consumer.  See FDCPA 809(a).

If I am interpreting correctly, they didn't notify me after the phone call.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.