Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Directv says my credit is so bad, I have to pay over $400 upfront

tag
dubess2525
Established Member

Directv says my credit is so bad, I have to pay over $400 upfront

Yesterday I applied for Directv as my current provider, AT&T, is not available where I bought my new house (I was recently approved for a mortgage).  Directv is saying that my credit is so bad, I have to pay over $400 upfront in order to get service and I'm not eligible for any discounts. 

When I applied for a mortgage in Feb 2015, my scores were 596, 609 & 622 - not great but since then I have paid down the balances on my credit cards to 4%, my mortgage lender told me my new scores are probably much higher (on creditkarma, it shows EQ at 636). 

I called Directv to inquire and they said the use a star system and I did not even warrant one star. They also said they use Equifax but could not tell me what scoring model is used. 

I am very confused.  I know my scores aren't great but I would hope a 620 or above would allow me to get Directv, or any other utility, without paying so much for a security deposit.

If anyone has any insight into Directv's scoring system or what I can do to prove my scores aren't that bad, please let me know.

Thanks

Starting Score: 500
Current Score: 610
Goal Score: 700
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
thom02099
Valued Contributor

Re: Directv says my credit is so bad, I have to pay over $400 upfront

@dubess2525 wrote:

Yesterday I applied for Directv as my current provider, AT&T, is not available where I bought my new house (I was recently approved for a mortgage).  Directv is saying that my credit is so bad, I have to pay over $400 upfront in order to get service and I'm not eligible for any discounts. 

When I applied for a mortgage in Feb 2015, my scores were 596, 609 & 622 - not great but since then I have paid down the balances on my credit cards to 4%, my mortgage lender told me my new scores are probably much higher (on creditkarma, it shows EQ at 636). 

I called Directv to inquire and they said the use a star system and I did not even warrant one star. They also said they use Equifax but could not tell me what scoring model is used. 

I am very confused.  I know my scores aren't great but I would hope a 620 or above would allow me to get Directv, or any other utility, without paying so much for a security deposit.

If anyone has any insight into Directv's scoring system or what I can do to prove my scores aren't that bad, please let me know.

Thanks

Your mortgage broker more than likely used your middle score to base the decision on your mortgage - 609.  Your new score(s) may or may not be "much higher".  Only way to find out is to pull your scores, from here at MyFICO.  The CreditKarma score is a VantageScore 3.0 version; few lenders use it and CreditKarma is frequently woefully behind in reporting accurate information. 

DirectTV may be using a combination of EQ score and some internal scoring.  By pulling your scores from here, you'll see if they did in fact do a hard pull on your EQ report. When you know your true score(s), more advice may be forthcoming.  In the scheme of things, as noted at the top of this page, a 620 score is considered FAIR by MyFICO standards. 

Explore alternatives to DirecTV if they are available in your area, such as DISH or on-line services. 

Message 2 of 16
elbori357
Regular Contributor

Dishnetwork is a better provider!!!
MyFico Pull: TU 838 EFX 841, EX 840. (14 Aug 2020) House Mortage $305k, Car Lease $60,000, AMEX ED 33,000, NFCU Signature Visa $68,000, Lowes Visa 25,000, Cap One Venture $48,000, Navcheck $15,000, Barclay WEMC Arrival+ $41,000, Cap1 Quicksilver Visa $12,000, Chase Sapphire Preferred 15k, Best Buy $19,800, . Overall Util. 2%
Message 3 of 16
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@dubess2525 wrote:

I don't see anything from quick Googling.

Even if you did know the scoring system, DirecTV made the assessment using their criteria.  All you can do is work on your credit.  If you have derogs then hit the Rebuilding subforum and see what you can do to address them as they tend to keep your scores down no matter what else you do.

Message 4 of 16
Strogen
Frequent Contributor

@dubess2525 wrote:

Thanks

I know my electric company requires a 700 score in order to qualify for no deposit which I met by the skin of my teeth. 

AFAIK most utility companies and the like require either good scores or deposits. At this point you cant do much unless you try dish.

But as a former dish customer I know that they check credit too, but maybe you'll qualify or have to put less down. 

There wont be any "Proving my scores arnt bad" stuff, DirectTV has made their decision and you really cant make a 610 look good anyway...

From what I have seen, most of these companies probably consider ~640 or so to be the bare minimum for no deposit qualification. 

My friend had a 648 and didnt need to make a deposit for his dish stuff. 

best of luck. 

807 TU FICO Score 8.
Message 5 of 16
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

Since you're not getting ideal terms, I think you should definitely get a copy of your EQ and go over it.   See if there's any baddies you can address and make sure things look accurate overall.

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 6 of 16
dubess2525
Established Member

I lived without TV, just streaming, for about 5 years.  I don't mind going back to that till my scores go up more or until AT&T finally gets to my area.

Thanks

Starting Score: 500
Current Score: 610
Goal Score: 700
Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@elbori357 wrote:
Dishnetwork is a better provider!!!

Said no one ever

Message 8 of 16
DantGwyrdd
Frequent Contributor

@dubess2525 wrote:

I lived without TV, just streaming, for about 5 years.  I don't mind going back to that till my scores go up more or until AT&T finally gets to my area.

Thanks

Same here (only for a year)! A Vizio smart TV + Netflix + Amazon Prime = fun. I only got cable TV when I switched to cable internet and the price with or without the cable TV was essentially the same.

Message 9 of 16
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@dubess2525 wrote:

Thanks

Excellent choice! Why pay a large deposit for DirecTV when you get more selection for less with streaming....Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.