Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappearing/Re-Appearing Collection

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Disappearing/Re-Appearing Collection

I had a collection account on my 7/13/2017 report from a certain Collection Agency and had the original creditor listed as "Company A".  After that report the collection account disappeared.  It hadn't aged off though, just disappeared.  That was great until it showed back up again on my 4/6/2018 credit report.  Same Collection Agency, same amount, same account number but different original creditor.  Is there a dispute here or could it be as simple as the company changed corporate names?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Disappearing/Re-Appearing Collection

Either the OC had a name change, or perhaps a third party B purchased the debt from original creditor A, who then assigned collection authority to debt collector C?

Whether or not you treat as a dispute is merely administrative, as any inaccuracy can simply be corrected without any issue of deletion of the collection.  Are you disputing under the assumption that it will result in deletion of the collection, or simply to correct the apparent inaccuracy?

If you dispute, what would you assert to be the correct reporting?

I would first attempt to correct by placing an informal call, or send a formal DV request that includes the specific request for the name of the original creditor.  I would only resort to a formal dispute if you cannot determine the accurate scenario.........

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.