Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover IT Fico score mistake

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover IT Fico score mistake

Is it possible that Discover made a mistake when they calculated my EQUIFAX FICO score? I was approved for their cash card 12/2019 and they sent me the package, along with my credit score (763 EQ) FICO. However, when I checked my Experian fico score, it is only 680 or so. And they gave me a high limit as well. I was shocked. Can anyone offer any explanation? Thanks.
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: Discover IT Fico score mistake

Congrats!

Message 2 of 11
thornback
Senior Contributor

Have you checked your EQ FICO & report? It's possible it differs from your EX by that much if the info reported on EQ is different from that reported on EX (ex: perhaps a negative that exists on EX doesn't appear on EQ?).

Congrats on your approval and welcome to the forums!
Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 3 of 11
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Experian Fico 8 and Equifax Fico 8 can be apples and oranges depending on AAoA, number of inquiries, number of accounts reporting, negatives etc etc... just pay for a 3 credit bureau read either through Experian or myFICO.com and recheck.

Congratulations on your approval and welcome to Discover.
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all! I just refinanced my auto loan through my bank PNC in December as well, and their Experian FICO was 730. So even that was different. Perhaps there are different types of FICO score that lenders look at? I’m just rather puzzled. My file is sort of thin. Currently, I only have 3 CCS. Apple Card, PNC cash rewards, and Discover IT cash back. 1 auto loan that is current.
I am trying to see if I should/can apply for the Amex delta card (which I have read that it is the easier card to get/start a relationship with Amex). Can someone please attest that claim as to its validity? Thanks again.
Message 6 of 11
thornback
Senior Contributor

There are 28 different versions of your FICO score (incl. Mortgage, Auto, Bankcard, FICO 8, And FICO 9). Lenders can use whichever version they see fit.

To see all 28 versions of your FICO, you need to purchase a 3Bureau report from myFICO.com (it's the only place that offers all of them).
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 7 of 11
thornback
Senior Contributor

And yes, Amex co-branded cards (such as the Delta) have less strict underwriting so are easier to get. But you may qualify for other Amex cards. Try their prequal page and see what comes up for you.
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Thornback,
I just applied for the Amex Gold Card and was approved! I honestly didn’t think I would be approved because I only have 3 ccs at the moment. But the lady in the phone was super friendly and recommended I apply for the gold card. So how is the charge card different from a credit card? Since she said I have the flexibility of carrying a balance of anything over $100? Can you help me understand this? Thanks!
Message 9 of 11
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi Thornback,
I just applied for the Amex Gold Card and was approved! I honestly didn’t think I would be approved because I only have 3 ccs at the moment. But the lady in the phone was super friendly and recommended I apply for the gold card. So how is the charge card different from a credit card? Since she said I have the flexibility of carrying a balance of anything over $100? Can you help me understand this? Thanks!

Congratulations on your approval! For charge cards, it's recommended to PIF Pay In Full.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.