Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover free EX Score - when it updates

tag
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Discover free EX Score - when it updates

Discover usually updates the free EX score they provide every 30 days.  So if you sign up on the 20th, your score will be updated on the 20th of every month.  But I've found something that seems to change that. I signed up on the 27th so that's the date my report updated every month. I pulled my EX score/report from here Novemer 12th and found that changed the date Discover updates my score. Their site shows - This is your Credit Scorecard as of 11/12/2016. Come back after 30 days to refresh it. Strange...

https://creditscorecard.com

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
newhis
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover free EX Score - when it updates

That's strange.

If you log on after your 30 days, the score will update that day. So if you originally had the 15 but the next month you log on until the 20, then your score will be for that day.

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@newhis wrote:

That's strange.

If you log on after your 30 days, the score will update that day. So if you originally had the 15 but the next month you log on until the 20, then your score will be for that day.

That's good to know-I wasn't aware you could change the reporting date like that.  Makes the service even more useful.

Message 3 of 13
NRB525
Super Contributor

It shows as of 12/11/2016 I have two INQ in the last year, which on EX is correct. The remaining EX INQ to go past 12 months are dated January 6, 2016 and March 10, 2016. So to test the update timing I would need to check back on January 8, 2017 to see if it dropped the INQ of January 6, 2016.

The Utilization outstanding number is not per standard. I track this from the notifications I get on MyFICO, where I'm using the EX and EQ specific account updates to compare to the All Bankcards number provided every few days by TU. There are days where they are out of sync, but that's only due to the daily timing of each bureau reports. They come into sync regularly as the number of alerts slows down at certain times of the month. These last matched on December 2, at $17,859.

The only way I can get the Discover Dashboard open amount of $19,052 to get close to my known reported balances as of today (last alert from TU on 12/9, last alert from EX 12/10) of $17,341 or $17,431 on TU, is to add in both the closed Citi account I am paying down, $1,204 last noted by EQ, and the PRG Charger balance of $513, both of which do not factor into the open balances in the TU alerts. I only get alerts for the closed Citi account from EQ, never from EX, so thats another weird aspect of this. Even going back into November, I could not get to $19,000 open balances without using those two, and it would be even further off from the $6 (or $84 the other way depending on if TU is used) difference as of today.

This is further corroborated since Discover Dashboard shows me at 6% utilization, but that only works if I add in both the closed Citi balance and the $5,690 credit limit on that closed account. With that, and the Citi balance and the PRG balance, the utilization works out to 6.46%.

The Slate dashboard includes a Card Balances which is only open revolvers, divided by the open revolvers limits, and is at 7% as of November 11, 2016. Slate does add another note, your Total Card Balances, which adds in the Closed balance and the Charger balance at that time.

So I guess a good comparison would be to anticipate when your Slate dashboard would update, and then open the Discover Dashboard at about the same day, print the Discover report, then check the Slate report when it is avaiable. They should have many aspects the same since both are EX.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 13
masscredit
Valued Contributor

@newhis wrote:

That's strange.

So if I'm reading this right, if I started on the 15th and then logged in on the 10th of the following month. It would tell me my next update is on the 15th. If I forget to log in on the 15th then did it on the 20th, that would change the date my score updates? 

If that's the case, maybe I didn't log in at the end of October. So my login on Nov 12th changed my date. 

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 5 of 13
newhis
Valued Contributor

@masscredit wrote:

@newhis wrote:

That's strange.

So if I'm reading this right, if I started on the 15th and then logged in on the 10th of the following month. It would tell me my next update is on the 15th. If I forget to log in on the 15th then did it on the 20th, that would change the date my score updates? 

If that's the case, maybe I didn't log in at the end of October. So my login on Nov 12th changed my date. 

Yes, that's correct.

DW Amex and Discover EX FICO were too close together, so she waited almost 6 weeks to get the new Discover EX FICO score. Now she has 2 free EX FICO a month 2 weeks apart.

Message 6 of 13
Physh1
Frequent Contributor

This hasn't been my experience...

I was approved for my card on the ~16th...that was also my first updated score date. From that point forward my score was updated on the 5th...5-6 days before my statement closing date.

Cameron

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I actually think it's more useful if it gives you the score the date you log in (assuming it's past 30 days) rather than the score from the previous date which would have been 30 days.  This way you're always getting the most recent score, not one that could be up to a month old.

Message 8 of 13
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Today is 30 days since my score last updated. I just checked it and saw the update. I'm going to wait a few extra days next month to see if that moves the update date.

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 9 of 13
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Physh1 wrote:

This hasn't been my experience...

I was approved for my card on the ~16th...that was also my first updated score date. From that point forward my score was updated on the 5th...5-6 days before my statement closing date.

Cameron

Hi Cameron, we are talking about the free EX FICO score from Discover, not the TU FICO they provide with your statement, that will be the same day, maybe will only change if you change your due date (I don't know yet).

You can get your free EX FICO from Discover at creditscorecard.com

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.