Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover wants me to fill out an affidavit for fraud

tag
QCS123
Established Contributor

Discover wants me to fill out an affidavit for fraud

I got a letter in the mail from Discover asking me to fill out an affavadit regarding the fraud on my account two months ago.  Has anyone been asked to fill out an affadavit by Discover or another Credit Card Company?  This feels weird and they have asked me the same question on the phone multiple times.  They also want me to fill out line items for each charge that is fraudulent, but I don't have that info.  It happened at the begining of the month and they were the only charges so far, they closed the account and gave me a new one, but I never received a statement for the first credit card for that month of the charges.  I'll have to call them and request it, but I thought I'd check here first, because this feels way weird....they also want to know if I filled out a police report...should I?  I have the physical card, so someone got the number and used it, they have now asked me if I have the actual card or lost it three times, so this seems to be a sticking point with them....

I've had the new card with them two months, and all is well...but this just doesn't feel right, any advice?

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover wants me to fill out an affidavit for fraud

you lost the card 3 times? or someone got your card and it was used 3 times?

Message 2 of 24
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Discover has asked about the card three times.

Message 3 of 24
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

@QCS123 wrote:

I got a letter in the mail from Discover asking me to fill out an affavadit regarding the fraud on my account two months ago.  Has anyone been asked to fill out an affadavit by Discover or another Credit Card Company?  This feels weird and they have asked me the same question on the phone multiple times.  They also want me to fill out line items for each charge that is fraudulent, but I don't have that info.  It happened at the begining of the month and they were the only charges so far, they closed the account and gave me a new one, but I never received a statement for the first credit card for that month of the charges.  I'll have to call them and request it, but I thought I'd check here first, because this feels way weird....they also want to know if I filled out a police report...should I?  I have the physical card, so someone got the number and used it, they have now asked me if I have the actual card or lost it three times, so this seems to be a sticking point with them....

I've had the new card with them two months, and all is well...but this just doesn't feel right, any advice?

Filing a police report and filling out an affidavit is standard proceedure for most banks.

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 4 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Meanmchine wrote:

@QCS123 wrote:

Filing a police report and filling out an affidavit is standard proceedure for most banks.

+1  Very standard.

Message 5 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

They are most likely escalating because of the multiple incidents.  On their end they may very well be suspecting that youre claiming fraud on legitimate charges, so they want the police and legal documents involved in case they have to take this all to court.

Whether you are doing so or not is irrelevant and immaterial, this is them covering THEIR bases.

Honestly with almost any CC company the first question they ask when you report a lost or stolen card, or claim strange transactions is "have you called the police."  This is normally followed with a line of questions about the last time you knew you possessed it, what your last transaction you know of was, etc.

So these steps are unsurprising.

Message 6 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have had fraud on cards from Chase, Amex and Bank of America and not once been asked to file a police report or submit an affidavit.  Yes, I have been asked questions aout other charges and if it's been out of my possession but definitely not been required to do either of the above

Message 7 of 24
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

I recently experienced fraud on a PenFed debit card.  I had to file a police report and submit a notarized affidavit.  This is the new process.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 8 of 24
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

I recently experienced fraud on a PenFed debit card.  I had to file a police report and submit a notarized affidavit.  This is the new process.

A few weeks ago I had a fraud charge on my Fidelity Visa, and I didn't have to do any of that.  In my case,  the issuer identified the charge as fraudulent (and declined it), I wonder if there is a difference if you are the reporter.   UpperNwGuy, did you or Penfed initiate?

Message 9 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

A few weeks ago I had a fraud charge on my Fidelity Visa, and I didn't have to do any of that.  In my case,  the issuer identified the charge as fraudulent (and declined it), I wonder if there is a difference if you are the reporter.   UpperNwGuy, did you or Penfed initiate?

I reported a $500 fraud charge on one of my BoA cards and didnt do any of that either.  Was on phone for about 2 minutes and charge was reversed

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.