Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispute Updating Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dispute Updating Question

Question -

I disputed an account on EQ and I have received my results already.  My question is, will the other two CB be notified as well and updated to the new info?

Thanks

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
jnydc
Contributor

Re: Dispute Updating Question

My belief is that if you dispute with the respective cra that information stays in house.  They are only responsible for their own info and accuracy, which would explain why different reports reflect different creditors and such.  If you come to an agreement with the oc they have a responsibility to report it to all of the cra's.

I think you need to do disputes with each.  But I am not nearly as wise as others on here.

2009 Credit Portfolio: First Premier 450, Orchard Bank 400

2012 Credit Portfolio: AMEX; Gold, Zync, & Clear 5k
Citi Platinum Select 2k, Home Depot Store (Citi) 4k, Discover More 10k, Barclays Apple 2k, Cap 1 (secured) 2.5k
Message 2 of 5
ficonightmare
Frequent Contributor

Did you dispute it with the OC through EQ? Or did you just dispute it with EQ for their reporting?

Starting Score: 600s
Current Score: EQ 08 798 on 5/28/14, TU 792 on 5/27/4 via Barclay, EX 798 on 5/28/14
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

No, they wont be notified.

If you dispute directly with the party who posted the information to your CR, such as the OC, using the direct dispute process under FCRA 623(a)(8) and 16 CFR 660.4. the results must be reported by the creditor to each CRA they reported the information to.

If you dispute through the intermediary of a CRA under FCRA 611(a), each dispute is handled individually, and only by the CRA to which the dispute is addressed, and update of results are not communicated to the other CRAs.   Results, under FCRA 611(a)(6), are only requried to be communicated to the consumer.

Just another reason why I would never dispute through a CRA, when you now have the right to dispute directly with the credtior/debt collector.

Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

When you dispute through a CRA (FCRA 611(a)(1)(A)), the CRA is required, within 5-days of your notice of dispute, to forward all relevevant information to the party who provided the disptued information to the CRA (e.g., the OC or debt collector). 

The party who provided the disputed information is then required, under FCRA 623(b), to conduct their investigation of the disputed information, and report the results back to the CRA wthin 30-days of the date of the dispute.

The CRA is then required to complete their "reinvestigation" within 5 days, and reprot the results to the consumer.  FCRA 611(a)(6)(A).

I see no provision, except for identitity theft related issues, that requires the CRA to share their results of reinvestigation with onyone other than the disputing consumer.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.