Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputed and account went from charge-off to collection

tag
ashdown1967
New Contributor

Disputed and account went from charge-off to collection

I disputed and account and now they are reporting the account as colletion instead of a charge-off.  This account shows last activity was in 2006.  How can I go about getting this settled .  And can they do that?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Disputed and account went from charge-off to collection

What specific information did you dispute, and how was the dispute resolved?

Their subsequent reporting depends upon the issues under dispute, and whether they verified the accuracy, or agreed to some inaccuracy.

Reporting of a collection is not an "instead of" the prior reporting of a charge-off.  They are separate.  The charge-off pertains to how they have treated the debt in their accounting ledger, while a collection relates to additional efforts to continue collection of the debt.  Yes, both can be reported.

Message 2 of 3
ashdown1967
New Contributor

Re: Disputed and account went from charge-off to collection

I disputed the the debt becuase it is not mine it belongs to my wife, but we were seperated at the time. I was stationed in Irag and she did a pay day loan in my name and  I have tried to explain this to them but noones cares.  I ask them to list it on her credit alone and take it off of mine.  And now they have changed it to collection instead of charge-off and my score dropped 18 points.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.