cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputing a CC collections not opened by me before I turned 18.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Disputing a CC collections not opened by me before I turned 18.

Hi Guys, this is what I have on my Experian Credit Report:

ASSET ACCEPTANCE

Address:
 PO BOX 1630
  WARREN, MI 48090
 (800) 614-4730
Account Number:
XXXXXXX. 
Original Creditor:
AMEX

Collection account. $2,031 past due as of Jun 2010.

Status Details:
This account is scheduled to continue on record until Feb 2012.
This item was verified and updated on Jun 2010.

Date Opened:
06/2009
Date of Status:
07/2009
Reported Since:
08/2009
Last Reported Date:
06/2010

Type:
Installment
Terms:
1 Months 
Monthly Payment:
$0
Responsibility:
Individual 

Credit Limit:
$1,805
High Balance:
N/A 
Recent Balance:
$2,031
Recent Payment:
$0

Account History:

Collection as of Apr 2010 to Jun 2010, Dec 2009 to Feb 2010, Sep 2009, Aug 2009

Balance History:
06/2010 $2,009
04/2010 $1,991
02/2010 $1,956
01/2010 $1,933
12/2009 $1,915
09/2009 $1,858
08/2009 $1,835
07/2009 $1,817

Limit High Balance History:

The original amount of this account was $1,805

This has been showing on my report since 5/2005.

Date Major Delinquency First Reported: 07/2009

What should I do about this? The account was opened before I turned 18, I turned 18 9/2005. The account was not opened by me.  It keeps getting sold off to other Collection Agencies. Don't these things go away after a certain time from reports? Should I just pay it up? It was showing up on my Equifax but I was able to get it removed from them by disputing it with no hassle. But when I dispute it with Experian or TransUnion they just "verify" the information. What do I do about this?? Help Please!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Disputing a CC collections not opened by me before I turned 18.

If I was 100% certain beyond any doubt that it wasn't mine and suspected ID theft, then I'd contact the police and get a police report. As you experienced, based on what is reporting, you had disputed and it came back verified. A police report along with the dispute can go a long way in getting it removed.

FYI, looks like the account first went bad 2/2005. I'm sure it was opened long before that. They remain on for 7 yrs from DOFD, or the date you first went bad. Since the CR shows a drop off date, I subtracted 7 yrs from that date to get DOFD.

Don't pay it if not yours. I wouldn't anyway.

I'd redispute w/ a copy of the police report.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your response.

How do i go about getting a police report on this? Do I just walk into a police station and claim ID Theft? I'm a little intimidated by all this. Smiley Indifferent

Message 3 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

It's very easy. Call the non-emergency police line in your local PD and tell them that you suspect that you were a victim of ID theft. They'll then ask for the info and they'll file their own report. You may want to mention that credit was obtained in your name while you were a minor and provide them with any info they ask for. After a few days, then you can re-contact the PD and ask for a copy of the report and that can be used to redispute and maybe also send a copy w/ a DV to this CA.

I live in the DC area and cities tend to merge together here. I live in one city in which I read the daily incident reports. At least once per week, there's a case here of ID theft very similar to yours. I know that every area is different, but the police here are eager to help out, even if old from 5 yrs ago.

BTW, it could be a case of mistaken identity and perhaps no crime is committed. It isn't unheard of that a CA will bill all the "John Smiths" in a given area hoping that one person might pay.

Message 4 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Yes, either go into the local police station or call them and they may send someone to your house.

Keep a copy of the report to give to them.

Send a copy of the police report to all 3 CRAs and file identity theft.

Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Once you have a copy of the police report, it then becomes, for FCRA reporting issues, what they call an "identity theft report."

With that in hand, then simply follow the procedure set forth in FCRA 605B to get it blocked from your CR.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.