Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputing personal info?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Disputing personal info?

Is it worth disputing personal info to the 3Bs? Like when I moved to my new address, correct employer, correct start date?
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Re: Disputing personal info?

If it's wrong, it's wrong and they will fix it.  I just had the bureau's correct dh name(s) and business name(s) that had been wrong for more than a dozen years. (I believe it helps, particularly when app'ing that it shows a cleaner, clearer report and I noticed he did not need to verify on last two apps.)

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Be really careful with doing this. I disputed some names that were all messed up on my TransUnion and now names are constantly being added and removed from my report because the creditors keep adding them back when they report and TransUnion keeps removing them, it’s triggered WalletHub to report unusual activity and say that I should contact TransUnion to make sure they don’t have a second file for me. Like this morning it said my BK fell (it’s on there), and it showed one name added and two removed. The one that was added is my legal name without my suffix which they had previously removed even though I never disputed that one. It’s quite a mess honestly and one of these days I’ll get around to calling them about it. 

Message 3 of 15
Rogue46
Established Contributor

That's weird. I also had an alert that my bk dropped off yesterday but was added back today.

Message 4 of 15
beutiful5678
Frequent Contributor

I believe this personal info is typically added by the lenders so if any of the incorrect info is being reported by one of your current lenders I would correct the information with them and ideally they would disseminate the information to the three bureaus. Hopefully this would prevent the situation that @Saeren found himself in.

If the information is not from one of your current lenders then I would dispute the information with the bureaus.

EX 8: Aug 2021 - 692 | EQ 8: Aug 2021 - 714 | TU 8: Aug 2021 - 673
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@beutiful5678 wrote:

I believe this personal info is typically added by the lenders so if any of the incorrect info is being reported by one of your current lenders I would correct the information with them and ideally they would disseminate the information to the three bureaus. Hopefully this would prevent the situation that @Saeren found himself in.

If the information is not from one of your current lenders then I would dispute the information with the bureaus.

It wouldn’t be a problem if they wouldn’t do weird things with my suffix. None of my three files have my suffix of II despite that being my legal name and when creditors do add my suffix, it goes all over the place like last name middle suffix first or suffix in place of my last name and my middle name added as my last name. 

Honestly having a suffix is a total nightmare and I’m pretty sure when I get around to getting my LexisNexis and ARS and Sagestream I’m going to find that they have me mixed up with my father’s info on top of everything else. 

Message 6 of 15
beutiful5678
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@beutiful5678 wrote:

It wouldn’t be a problem if they wouldn’t do weird things with my suffix. None of my three files have my suffix of II despite that being my legal name and when creditors do add my suffix, it goes all over the place like last name middle suffix first or suffix in place of my last name and my middle name added as my last name. 

Honestly having a suffix is a total nightmare and I’m pretty sure when I get around to getting my LexisNexis and ARS and Sagestream I’m going to find that they have me mixed up with my father’s info on top of everything else. 

Oh yes, I can see how that would create problems - my brother is a Junior and my dad has gotten garnished for a medical collections belonging to my brother. (Obviously, when my dad went to court it was all sorted out but it was a pain in the a** in the meantime). As long as the name matches, people just aren't careful and don't seem to care. (It doesn't help that we have an unusual last name - if it were something like generic like Joe Johnson they'd probably look more carefully.)

EX 8: Aug 2021 - 692 | EQ 8: Aug 2021 - 714 | TU 8: Aug 2021 - 673
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@beutiful5678 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@beutiful5678 wrote:

Oh yes, I can see how that would create problems - my brother is a Junior and my dad has gotten garnished for a medical collections belonging to my brother. (Obviously, when my dad went to court it was all sorted out but it was a pain in the a** in the meantime). As long as the name matches, people just aren't careful and don't seem to care. (It doesn't help that we have an unusual last name - if it were something like generic like Joe Johnson they'd probably look more carefully.)

Yep, exact same problem here. My last name is a household name because of a certain old famous actor but it’s not a common name by any means. I have a feeling that LexisNexis has us mixed up because I got locked out of Equifax one day for the security questions and they had nothing to do with anything on my file which I had pulled from Annual Credit Report about a week prior. 

I am not looking forward to pulling all of these third party reports and disputing incorrect info, I’ll get to it some time this year. 

Message 8 of 15
GApeachy
Super Contributor

The reason the corrections worked for dh is because the accounts that had his name, address, business name was from old loans that no longer update.  If you get your current lenders to confirm what is on file you can narrow down where the misinformation is coming from.  The 3b's corrected dh's within a week. But, like @Saeren posted above....in his case Wallethub, in my dh case also Wallethub, his name has just posted again as first, middle, and last all mixed up again. (All of his names can be a first, middle, or last....go figure)  So TU has something on their end, lackadaisical input possible.  Not gonna worry about that one as the rest of the incorrect info. is reporting correctly now.

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Agreed 100%!  I have an extremely uncommon suffix, "V" which has caused me decades of headaches... so many that I actually put an end to the 5-generation tradition; my son is not the"VI."  I've had a ton of issues with my father "IV" and my information getting mixed up over the years... everything from receiving each others mail, bills, phone calls from doctors, you name it.  When filling in my name for whatever online, rarely does the drop down suffix box go past "III"; a couple of times I've seen "IV" but never my "V" suffix.  As a result, I normally input my suffix into the last name field... (last name space suffix). 

Reporting wise has been all over the place.  The most common mistake is assuming my suffix is a middle initial (I don't have a middle name) so my name can be found represented first name, suffix, last name on all of my credit reports.  This has caused a bunch of reporting problems; Citi twice now has been unable to get my account to report on TU for periods of 5-6 months at a clip for example, Amex for a long time was unable to pull my EX report to update my FICO score on my account, etc.  Any time any of my lenders has an issue at all, I always tell them that with 100% certainty that it has to do with my suffix so that they don't waste their time looking elsewhere.  If they drop my suffix from the account the problems usually go away immediately.  Having a suffix is no fun at all.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.