Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do AU accounts stay on their reports?

tag
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Do AU accounts stay on their reports?

My sister is an authorized user on a couple of my accounts. If I remove her, will her reports show those accounts up until that point?  Kind of like when a person closes a credit card. It stops reporting but they still get the AAoA credit until the account falls off.

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Openwater
Established Contributor

Re: Do AU accounts stay on their reports?

Interesting question, don't have an answer, but curious to see what it is. My guess and this is totally a guess is that the account is erased from the AU file.

Discover 22K ---------------------------- Credit Union MC 17K
Cap1 QS 11K ---------------------------- Barclay 3.4K
AMEX Blue Cash AU 15.5K ------ Barclay Apple AU 10K
AMEX BCP 15K
1 Installment loans:
Auto 60K /

AMEX Hilton Aspire 25K
Vantage 3.0: TU:738 EQ: 737 03-17-2020
Ch. 7 DC 12/2014
Message 2 of 9
masscredit
Valued Contributor

I was thinking the same thing. I did some reseach after posting and found this -

These authorized user accounts then become part of the authorized users’ credit reports and credit scores for as long as they remain guests on the account. Once removed from a card, the account is then removed from the authorized user’s credit reports and scores, leaving no remaining trace that it was ever there.

For most consumers, just one authorized user account with a history of on-time payments and a low balance can generate a FICO credit score of 700 or higher – a score good enough to qualify for new credit in the authorized user’s name. That is, as long as the account meets these two criteria:

• Has been open for at least six months.
  • Has been reported by the card company to the credit bureau within the past six months.

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 3 of 9
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@masscredit wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. I did some reseach after posting and found this -

These authorized user accounts then become part of the authorized users’ credit reports and credit scores for as long as they remain guests on the account. Once removed from a card, the account is then removed from the authorized user’s credit reports and scores, leaving no remaining trace that it was ever there.

For most consumers, just one authorized user account with a history of on-time payments and a low balance can generate a FICO credit score of 700 or higher – a score good enough to qualify for new credit in the authorized user’s name. That is, as long as the account meets these two criteria:

• Has been open for at least six months.
  • Has been reported by the card company to the credit bureau within the past six months.

This is exactly how I have always believed.

I have My twin Daughters as AU's on Three of My oldest Major cards and one old Chevron (store) card.

This way when they turn 18 .. at least they will have Credit reports.

Message 4 of 9
Gmood1
Super Contributor

The accounts will remain on her report. They won't update anymore if removed as an authorized user.

Message 5 of 9
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Gmood1 wrote:

The accounts will remain on her report. They won't update anymore if removed as an authorized user.

Thanks for the info. Never had much experience in AU's/reporting.

Message 6 of 9
masscredit
Valued Contributor

@Gmood1 wrote:

Not that I doubt you but now I've seen answers that say yes and no Smiley Happy 

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 7 of 9
Gmood1
Super Contributor

I can only go by what I saw this past week on the Gf's reports. The accounts that I removed her from are still there. Some stopped reporting over a year ago. Maybe it was my imagination? lol

Message 8 of 9
Duke_Nukem
Established Contributor

We've gotten some recent DP's for you on AU accounts.

Back in Dec, myself and my 2 DD's were removed from one of my DW's cards.  For the 3 of us, those accounts have remained as open card accounts on all 3 of our CRA's, except one of the CRA's removed it completely from my reports without my disputing it (it is not present at all).  So they still report as open cards and help with UTI % on the CRA's they still report.

Recently, I've removed my DW as AU from 2 of my cards.  I removed her from my Uber card in Jan (because it was basically nerfed), but it still reported on all CRA's.  EX did move it to "Closed" status at some point, so it still appears on EX for age consideration but not in the UTI % calculations. 

I also removed her as AU earlier this month from my Disco account and actually disputed it immediately (to help with mortgage scoring).  TU removed the AU in seconds.  EQ removed it in about a week or so but left it as "Open" up to that point.  EX zeroed the balance and moved it to "Closed" when disputed (still counted towards aging but not UTI %), but took about 2 weeks to remove completely from the report.

So, in our experience it can vary how AU's appear on a credit report when the AU has been removed from credit cards.  It looks like there is a strong chance the AU will stay on most CRA's reports until they are disputed.  I'm not sure how long accounts will stay on a CRA report when the CRA's show no recent updates to those accounts.  We still have the AU accounts on our reports even though it was last updated this past Nov.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.