Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do Chase balance transfers trigger AA?

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Do Chase balance transfers trigger AA?

I know that Chase is one of the banks to watch for taking adverse action.

They have provided me with several attractive balance transfer offers.

Does accepting them trigger a review which could lead to adverse action?

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Do Chase balance transfers trigger AA?

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Not at all. They dont like minimum payments only, for prolonged period of time, but Chase has no issues with BTs that I know of. 

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica I have recently used Chase BT's at their invitation and they worked well. Not aware of any AA type actions for me?!
Message 3 of 11
FlaDude
Established Contributor

I have two Chase accounts that were maxed out for years with only min payments, and mostly charging up to the limit again each month. I got low interest loans and paid them off, and then used one of them for a balance transfer from another card. Through all this I never had any AA, in fact, after significantly paying down one of the cards the first time they gave me an unsolicited CLI from 10k to 13k.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 4 of 11
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@FlaDude wrote:

I have two Chase accounts that were maxed out for years with only min payments, and mostly charging up to the limit again each month. I got low interest loans and paid them off, and then used one of them for a balance transfer from another card. Through all this I never had any AA, in fact, after significantly paying down one of the cards the first time they gave me an unsolicited CLI from 10k to 13k.

Well thank you very much @Remedios @Anonymous and @FlaDude 

That's encouraging.

I once had my accounts closed by Barclays, and the only reason I could fathom was that I had finally used some of their balance transfer offers.  Glad to know Chase isn't that dumb.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 5 of 11
Remedios
Credit Mentor

No, they are not dumb like that. 

You really have nothing to worry about when it comes to Chase and BT. They get their fee, they happy 🤷‍♀️

Message 6 of 11
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@FlaDude wrote:

That's because you established a pattern. While you may have been on their radar, you didn't do anything that would trigger AA. AA is a big deal here because of how people use their accounts. Like, of course you got AA. You carried a $0 balance on that $10k card for 5 years and all of a sudden let a $5k balance post. Alarms went off like their building was burning down. What did you think would happen? I believe if people use their credit organically, nothing will happen to them.

Message 7 of 11
SoCalifornia
Frequent Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Sj- I just got a nice offer via mailer and was wondering if it was worth taking advantage of. I have never experienced any of the horror stories that some circulate about Chase. Like, why would they offer it and if taken light me in a circle of flames!?

Message 8 of 11
Remedios
Credit Mentor

People do weird things, make unwise choices, tell parts of the story and then it's gets propagated around like the gospel. There is by far more involved in AA than anything you'll read on the webz, and you'll never read the full story, especially behind the scene part. 

It's true they dont like too many applications for their own cards in short period of time, or bursts of applications around the time when you apply for chase cards, but even that is profile dependent 

Chase is not as neurotic when it comes to "business as usual" which BT certainly is. 

If those offers will save you money, go for it. 

If and when I have the need, I know I will. 

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase sent me BT checks associated with my CSP in July, I used one. The account is still open today with CL intact. They also preapproved me for the FU in August. So I don't know what kind of AA that was. Smiley LOL

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.