cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I have to pay back a personal loan for a procedure done at a medical facility that is closed?

tag
tisha130
Valued Member

Do I have to pay back a personal loan for a procedure done at a medical facility that is closed?

Hello Gardeners,

I read somewhere that if a school closes the debt obtained from that particular school is no longer applicable. I had a small medical procedure done in 2015 and took out a personal loan through United Credit. Aqua Finance is who I actually pay. I was curious to know since the facility closed within a year of me getting the procedure...am I still liable for the debt owed?

Starting Score: 486
Current Score: 635(middle score)
Goal Score: 680

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

As of Dec 2013 I want to purchase a 2011 or newer vehicle and buy my first home by the end of the year. I have purchased 2011 vehicle as of 2/2014 and I have been pre-approved for 100k home mortgage loan as of 3/2014.
4 REPLIES 4
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Do I have to pay back a personal loan for a procedure done at a medical facility that is closed?

Yes you are 

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Do I have to pay back a personal loan for a procedure done at a medical facility that is closed?

Yes, you are still liable to pay.

Think of it this way - Someone went to Sears, bought an applicance and charged it on a credit card. Promptly, the following month, Sears filed for bankruptcy and shut down. Today, the store does not exist where it once stood - and you are still liable to pay back the "loan" on that credit card.

Message 3 of 5
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Yes. It’s not the loan company’s fault that the school went out of business. You borrowed from the loan company. You used those funds to pay for a procedure, so you have to pay it back.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Even if debt is owed directly to a party as opposed to a creditor who holds a loan, if that party goes out of business, their accounts receivable assets likely have a legal heir, and can stil be pursued.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.