Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do Lenders Know if They're a CFA?

tag
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

Do Lenders Know if They're a CFA?

When looking at my Mortgage scores, one of the negative reasons they give is that I have a Consumer Finance Account on my reports. I don't really know which one of my accounts is the CFA, but I think it might be my CIG Financial account, which was a car loan from one of those crappy dealerships. Anyways, if I were to call CIG Financial and ask them if they were a CFA, would they be able to tell me? Do these companies know that they're going to report as a CFA? 

I think I've found the sacred map that may lead me to this garden everyone keeps talking about.

Officially collection free as of 3/19/19!!
STARTING SCORES: 377 (11/2013) & 580 (3/2018)
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Do Lenders Know if They're a CFA?

I'm sure most of the higher-ups know, but many times when you open a CFA account it's with a completely clueless minimum wage 19 year old kid like someone working at Best Buy when you go to finance a TV or something. 

Message 2 of 24
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

What's a CFA?!

Message 3 of 24
LakeLife
Established Contributor

@Girlzilla88 wrote:

What's a CFA?!

Common Abreviations

It's short for Consumer Finance Account.  I just double checked that page, and CFA is not on there.  But it is a really helpful page otherwise.  Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 24
Remedios
Credit Mentor

If I remember correctly,  @RobertEG explained it in an older thread, so unless I am totally misunderstanding, it's based on how lender reports it 

Found it 

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Consumer-Finance-Account-Question/td-p/528743...

Message 5 of 24
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@LakeLife wrote:

Common Abreviations

It's short for Consumer Finance Account.  I just double checked that page, and CFA is not on there.  But it is a really helpful page otherwise.  Smiley Happy

Its there as a CFL but I added the AkA of CFA.

Message 6 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

While I never knew about CFAs and what it meant for your credit until I found out here. I still knew to stay away from "in-house" Financing, or those "Lenders" that send out mailers every week! 

And now it makes me leary of most online Lenders too.

Message 7 of 24
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

If I remember correctly,  @RobertEG explained it in an older thread, so unless I am totally misunderstanding, it's based on how lender reports it 

Found it 

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Consumer-Finance-Account-Question/td-p/528743...

Thanks for the link! I'm going to give it a read on my lunch break. Heart

I think I've found the sacred map that may lead me to this garden everyone keeps talking about.

Message 8 of 24
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

Oh great! Apparently Honda Financial is a CFA, too. When I bought my car last year, I was originally approved through Capital One and then the dealership called me and said they got me a lower rate through Honda Financial lol. Looks like that reason code will be sticking around for the next couple of years until I pay my car off. 

Message 9 of 24
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Queen_Etherea wrote:

Oh great! Apparently Honda Financial is a CFA, too. When I bought my car last year, I was originally approved through Capital One and then the dealership called me and said they got me a lower rate through Honda Financial lol. Looks like that reason code will be sticking around for the next couple of years until I pay my car off. 

A CFA for a car loan and especially one that is an arm of a manufacturer is not looked at like one would be if you walked into a local place that offered high rate personal loans like AVCO Financial used to do and others out there as well.

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.