Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do creditors know if you PIF monthly?

tag
clocktick
Valued Contributor

Do creditors know if you PIF monthly?

I PIF all of my credit cards monthly.  Unless I know I'm about to apply for cards or a loan, I DO let the balance report. :smiley blush:

Can creditors tell you PIF and bring the balance back up, from 0, the next month or does it "look" like the minimum is only paid? 

Thank you.

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Do creditors know if you PIF monthly?

I don't think they can tell this, unless they're willing to do some math.

The amount of our monthly charges is reported to the CRA's, although consumers can only see this listed on our Experian reports. So if they're willing to look at the amounts charged and the balances, they might be able to see that you're PIF'ing. But otherwise, no.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Do creditors know if you PIF monthly?

Most likely, the only creditor that would have that detail of interest in your balance of payment pattern over time would be that single creditor with which you hold the account.

That creditor has their own, detailed, internal account database for such history.  What is reported to a CRA originated with them, so they have their own, original source of much more detailed information.

I cant imagine why a third party creditor would be interested in, let alone go to the time and expense of, doing a monthly pull of all their client's credit reports, and try to build a database of payment profile on another creditor's accounts from month to month.  That would be a huge use of resources and data storage expense! 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.