cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do late payments still effect you the same way when an account is closed?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do late payments still effect you the same way when an account is closed?

I have multiple lates on one account and am wondering if its closed if they will still have the same scoring impact?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Do late payments still effect you the same way when an account is closed?

I can't think of any logical reasons why it wouldn't, or else people would just close accounts to get around the impact of late payments, like in this case I assume.
Message 2 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Closing an account does not negate the fact of prior derogs, and does not even prevent the creditor from continuing to report additional delinquencies after closing.

Closing is primarily used on revolving accounts to prevent the consumer from increasing an already delinquent debt by making further charges.  It does not affect continued billing of debt, and reporting of delinquencies based on late or lacking payments of the billed debt.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

The closure can in fact hurt your score still further, e.g. in the case of a credit card with a positive balance. 

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, the same adverse scoring impact will be true if you close the account.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closing is primarily used on revolving accounts to prevent the consumer from increasing an already delinquent debt by making further charges. Smiley Frustrated

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.