Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do not call registry and prescreened credit offers

tag
meeklo062704
New Contributor

Do not call registry and prescreened credit offers

Does registering for the do not call list have any effect on prescreening for credit offers? Telemarketers are driving me nuts, and I'm kinda tired of getting cursed out when I tell the guy from "microsoft calling about my computer" to take me off the list. I didn't find any connection when I googled it, but I just wanted to be sure.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Do not call registry and prescreened credit offers

No effect. I was on the DNC list and still received pre-screened CC offers.

Message 2 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The national do not call register applies to phone calls, not written solicitations.

Creditors can prescreen either by using their own, acquired consumer information, or by submitting screening criteria to a CRA and obtaining a listing of consumer names and addresses who meet the specified criteria.

If the resulting offers are mailed, there is no telecomm issue.

Message 3 of 8
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I don't get any offers because I opted out permanently. It took about a month to kick in, but it did. So grateful. See below:

If you decide that you don't want to receive prescreened offers of credit and insurance, you have two choices: You can opt out of receiving them for five years or opt out of receiving them permanently. To opt out for five years: Call toll-free 1-888-5-OPT-OUT (1-888-567-8688) or visit www.optoutprescreen.com.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 4 of 8
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@CreditInspired wrote:
I don't get any offers because I opted out permanently. It took about a month to kick in, but it did. So grateful. See below:

If you decide that you don't want to receive prescreened offers of credit and insurance, you have two choices: You can opt out of receiving them for five years or opt out of receiving them permanently. To opt out for five years: Call toll-free 1-888-5-OPT-OUT (1-888-567-8688) or visit www.optoutprescreen.com.

Yes, opt out pre-sreen is great! Because I'm carrying $6k on CCs and have a paid in full Prosper loan from a couple years ago I was getting deluged from mailed offers from just about ever personal loan company out there, at least 2-3 per week. And most of them had pre-approval codes so I had to shred them, which was a pain. I did a permanent opt out and the offers stopped in a week or so. It does block you from using the CC pre-screen sites (you get a message they're unable to recommend anything for you), but I'm not looking for any new CCs so no problem. And my CC debt is either 0% intro, BTs, or PIF monthly usage, so I'm also not looking for a 10-12% loan to pay them off early. 

Message 5 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Opting out applies only to preventing your name from being included in a listing provided by a CRA of consumers whose credit files meet certain screeing criteria provided by a potential creditor.  FCRA 604(c) permits creditors to submit specific screening criteria to a CRA, and obtain a listing of consumer names and addresses who meet those screening criteria.  Offers made to those consumers are then considered as a firm offers for credit, meaning the creditor must honor the offer is the consumer applies and is found to still meet the screening criteria.

FCRA 604(e) permits a consumer to notify a CRA that they wish to be excluded from any such listings provided by a CRA.

It does not bar solicitations that are not based on a screening list obtained from a CRA.

If a creditor obtains your name and address from any other source, such as their own internal business records, they can still send the consumer an offer for credit, even though the consumer has opted out under the provisions of FCRA 604(e).  

Message 6 of 8
meeklo062704
New Contributor

Good, thanks for the info. I don't have an issue with the prescreened offers, just the telemarketers. I can't tell you how many times someone has tried selling me solar panels, doesn't remove me from the list, or doesn't give an option to be removed. I'd love to be able to have them fined for continual calls.
Message 7 of 8
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@meeklo062704 wrote:
Good, thanks for the info. I don't have an issue with the prescreened offers, just the telemarketers. I can't tell you how many times someone has tried selling me solar panels, doesn't remove me from the list, or doesn't give an option to be removed. I'd love to be able to have them fined for continual calls.

Did you ever fill out one of those forms on the many Internet sites promising "free solar in your area!"? I've clicked them a few times, they start with asking your zip code, then "we need you street address to confirm you are eligible" and then ends up wanting your name & phone #. Those sites are just what I call "lead harvesters", they just gather names & contact info of folks interested in solar that they can sell to the many solar install companies. Same for those insurance "comparison" sites that claim it's "amazing new technology" from "Harvard MBAs", they're just "lead harvesters", gathering names & contact info of folks interested in seeing if they can get cheaper insurance that they can sell to the many insurance companies. Don't ever give those sites your name & contact info. A couple of years ago I tried one of those insurance comparison sites, and litterally within minutes I was getting calls & emails from just about every insurance agent within a hundred miles, and they persisted for weeks.

I don't know if the Do Not Call Registry is that effective any more, there are so many fly by night operations that just ignore it, and if they ever get a complaints they just close up shop & reappear under a new name & PO box address. And with the technology today they don't even need to have your name & phone number, internet phone service is so cheap they just robo call every number combination in a prefix - like (area code) 555-1111, 555-1112, etc. - until they get a "live number" that someone answers, and save those numbers & sell them.

Your best defense against robo sales calls os to convince them you're a terrible prospect for whatever they're selling, and have some fun with it - "Solar panels? Sounds great! I'm renting a studio apartment, would I need my landlord's permission to install them? I want to just stick them out on the patio. It's a covered patio, they don't actually have to be out in the sun do they?"

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.